Keratoconus & cornea graft question

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

gsward
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Keratoconus & cornea graft question

Postby gsward » Tue 25 Jul 2023 8:31 am

I guessed so, as what you are describing is often how you know you have got to the end of the road with RGPs. Have sclera lenses been suggested? They may buy you a few more years without needing surgery and improve your vision significantly. That assumes there is no other medical/surgical reason for grafting now.

J_ZA
Contributor
Contributor

Postby J_ZA » Tue 25 Jul 2023 8:39 am

gsward wrote:I guessed so, as what you are describing is often how you know you have got to the end of the road with RGPs. Have sclera lenses been suggested? They may buy you a few more years without needing surgery and improve your vision significantly. That assumes there is no other medical/surgical reason for grafting now.

Thanks, it was not mentioned. I'll ask when I see him again.

It was the same story with my other eye - scar tissue on the cornea from rubbing on the lens, I suspect that's also happening with this eye now. I can pretty much not see a thing without a contact lens.

J_ZA
Contributor
Contributor

Postby J_ZA » Thu 10 Aug 2023 9:05 am

So I went to see an opthalmologist. My usual one had recently retired, so this is a new one who seems to be full of ideas, which is a good thing.

He's confirmed that my cornea's point is so much now that hard lenses would be a problem, but he's reluctant to do a corneal graft "just because". He wants to do cross-linking and some other procedure first that could apparently get rid of the scar tissue, as well as flatten the point, which could buy me a good couple of years, and worst case scenario I'd need to get a graft anyway.

So I'm hopeful that this would be a "quick fix". I have also gotten my first set of glasses(exl. reading) in 25 years for the right eye which is like a revelation because now I'm finally not 100% dependent on hard lenses anymore.

gsward
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby gsward » Thu 10 Aug 2023 11:49 am

A lot of consultants and optoms take the view that to put the graft off as long as possible is a sensible approach. You still have it as an option if the other approaches are not successful. Not directly related to your situation but you will find his article on our website interesting reading https://www.keratoconus-group.org.uk/in ... ransplant/

J_ZA
Contributor
Contributor

Postby J_ZA » Thu 10 Aug 2023 1:02 pm

gsward wrote:A lot of consultants and optoms take the view that to put the graft off as long as possible is a sensible approach. You still have it as an option if the other approaches are not successful. Not directly related to your situation but you will find his article on our website interesting reading https://www.keratoconus-group.org.uk/in ... ransplant/

Very interesting, thanks.

J_ZA
Contributor
Contributor

Postby J_ZA » Tue 05 Sep 2023 7:44 am

So I had the keratectomy and corneal cross-linking done exactly a week ago. The procedure itself wasn't too bad - booked in, then they give you a calming tablet, a couple of hours later you go into theatre, they apply numbing drops, and then the dr uses a dremel like tool or something to remove the epithelial, and then another thing he called a "drill" to remove the bump and scar tissue I had on the tip of my cornea. All of that took less than 10 mins.

After that, his assistant applied the B1 drops and UV light for I gues what was another 30-40 mins after which they apply a soft contact lens, eye patch, a bunch of meds, and off you go.

It all felt fine until about an hour or so later at home when the numbing drops suddenly wore off and the pain hit. I don't think anything can prepare you for that. They give you some schedule 8 opioids, which made zero difference, and I couldn't sleep at all that night. I took some other pain meds I had from a broken ankle operation which eventually knocked me out. :D

The next day was not great, but it slowly got better, and by day 3 most of the pain was gone, with only some light sensitivity and some scratchiness left.

I went for my post-op check up yesterday, and the dr reckons the procedure was a great success, the cornea is rounder, and the bump is much flatter. I have to rest the eye for another 8 weeks until the next check-up, after which I should be able to start wearing a lens again.

The assistant did mention that this was one of the most painful eye procedures, worse than a cornea graft, but they won't tell you this upfront because then you wouldn't want to do it.

So long story short, looks like this would have been worth it in preventing a cornea graft, so I'm happy.

space_cadet
Champion
Champion
Vision: Other

Postby space_cadet » Tue 05 Sep 2023 8:10 am

sounds a positive update hope recovery continues to go well n you benefit from it x
May09 Diagnosed with KC, March 2010 after a failed transplant it has left me legally blind a long cane user (since 2010) who is blind in a once sighted world

J_ZA
Contributor
Contributor

Postby J_ZA » Tue 05 Sep 2023 9:11 am

space_cadet wrote:sounds a positive update hope recovery continues to go well n you benefit from it x

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee

Postby Anne Klepacz » Tue 05 Sep 2023 2:28 pm

That all sounds really good (apart from the pain of course!) Wishing you good healing. Keep us updated.

J_ZA
Contributor
Contributor

Postby J_ZA » Tue 05 Sep 2023 2:59 pm

Anne Klepacz wrote:That all sounds really good (apart from the pain of course!) Wishing you good healing. Keep us updated.

Thanks, appreciate it. Will do.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”