II love yet hate disability

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

space_cadet
Champion
Champion
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

II love yet hate disability

Postby space_cadet » Thu 11 Apr 2019 7:32 am

I love yet hate disability.

Bit of a bold statement to make you may think, as what is their to love about a world not geared up for those of us who fail to see as the sighted world can and does?

Thanks I guess to the severity of my KC I associate more as someone who is blind in a once sighted world, but take away the KC and I am still disabled due to Fibromialgia and ME not to mention surviving several mental illnesses.

Take away the battles I face, be it magnifying iwth a 20x mirror to do make up, or a hobble holding 2 banisters to safely get down the stairs on a morning to make my daughter breakfast, or battling deliberating anxiety just to do the school run, would I be me?

whilst disability doesn't define me, it is often the first thing people notice about me is a cane in my hand n wondering why iv a slight limp, struggle with eye contact and appear to be "away with the fairies" wrapped in my internal world to protect me from the judgement of the sighted, able bodied, sane headed views and perceptions or should that be misconceptions of those whov no idea just how much energy it takes to function, to even type this post.

Yet being disabled has its perks, queue jumping at theme parks, 2 for 1 at the cinema and live music, been able to get upgrades on flights, front row seats to plays my daughter does at school and plenty more.

Disability is what you make of it, after all as someone famous once said "the only disability in life is a bad attitude" which in turn makes me question and ponder which parts of me and intrinsic, which are due to the cards life dealt to me and which would I not be me if I didn't live with. Yes at times it gets me down and frustrates the hell out of me, but for the most of the time, watch out world I might be disabled but damn it has opened my eyes far more than many would realise n given me a deeper level of empathy than many would comprehend.

Live life, enjoy it, learn from the obstacles and remember you are able to educate through experience and that is what matters, if you don't learn from it how can you expect others to comprehend how it is for you n those like you?
May09 Diagnosed with KC, March 2010 after a failed transplant it has left me legally blind a long cane user (since 2010) who is blind in a once sighted world

CrippsCorner
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: II love yet hate disability

Postby CrippsCorner » Wed 24 Apr 2019 11:52 am

Glad to see positivity from someone who's certainly had a rough old time of things. Makes me even more annoyed at the constant negativity I hear (mainly at work) from people without any real problems... they just like to moan for the sake of it.

space_cadet
Champion
Champion
Vision: Other

Re: II love yet hate disability

Postby space_cadet » Wed 24 Apr 2019 2:35 pm

I just had to vent ....
May09 Diagnosed with KC, March 2010 after a failed transplant it has left me legally blind a long cane user (since 2010) who is blind in a once sighted world

Return to “General Discussion Forum”