Sudocrem on contact lens?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Magzi
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Sudocrem on contact lens?

Postby Magzi » Sun 23 Feb 2020 8:25 am

Hi This may seem like a silly post by someone who is a total novice with handling and cleaning their contact lenses but I have been wearing lenses for 13 years and this is the first time since wearing them I have been presented with this problem.

I have two scleral lenses which fit fine, I have no noticeable discomfort or blurriness when I wear them and had no problems as such.
One morning upon inserting my right lens I noticed a cloud would form in the centre of the lens every time I blinked, I took the lens out give it a clean and put it back in. This would go on another three times untill I asked my parter to look into the eye and tell me what she could see. She told me that it looked like loads of small bubbles were present at the centre of the lens, like you get when oil and water are present. This has gone on for almost a week now, I have used enzyme remover tablets, Ote clean and scrubbed this lens repeatedly but nothing seems to work, I still get the cloud or bubbles each time I put the lens in.
The only thing I can put this down to is that I used sudocrem on my sore hands a few hours before taking my right lens out the night before I noticed the cloud, my left lens was taken out prior to this. I have very rarely used sudocrem in the past which is why I believe this may be the culprit.

Can anyone recommend a good cleaning solution that could get this substance off of my lens or is it now ruined?

space_cadet
Champion
Champion
Vision: Other

Re: Sudocrem on contact lens?

Postby space_cadet » Sun 23 Feb 2020 10:42 am

Id be seeking medical advice pronto, sudocrem burns small humans bottoms so I dread to think what harm it could do if in your eye, other than cause a lot of pain!
May09 Diagnosed with KC, March 2010 after a failed transplant it has left me legally blind a long cane user (since 2010) who is blind in a once sighted world

gsward
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Sudocrem on contact lens?

Postby gsward » Wed 04 Mar 2020 9:21 pm

The manufacturers of Sudocream do tell us what's in it https://www.sudocrem.co.uk/healthcare-professionals/what-is-sudocrem/. It's mostly lanolin (wool fat) and zinc oxide (the white part). The product is designed primarily for treating nappy rash, I'm told with good results, but definitely not good for your eyes.

If you haven't solved the problem you could try the contact lens cleaner Oté Clean, which is good for removing grease from lenses. Otherwise, you should make a trip to whoever fits your lenses. If it is a hospital they will almost certainly have someone who can help. Oil or grease on any lens is going to be a problem as the surface is not going to wet properly.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”