Driving

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Irum_J98
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Driving

Postby Irum_J98 » Fri 28 Jun 2019 10:30 pm

How do you guys find it driving in the dark? Do you see halos around headlights and lampposts?

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Driving

Postby Anne Klepacz » Sun 30 Jun 2019 12:56 pm

I gave up driving in the dark for that very reason, because I no longer felt safe in those conditions. It's a very common symptom of KC. Contact lenses can reduce the effect, but often can't get rid of it altogether.

dixonl88

Postby dixonl88 » Mon 22 Jul 2019 9:02 am

Yep - I have the same problem.

I've found getting a pair of yellow specs that I wear for driving at night helps a bit but I tend to plan my day not to drive at night and driving at night in the rain is a big no-no for me

CrippsCorner
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby CrippsCorner » Wed 31 Jul 2019 1:42 pm

Pretty much impossible. I drive around my local town if I absolutely have to, but would never venture on to roads unknown. Try driving with RGPs; it's like something out of Star Wars!

Gemma
Vision: On the waiting list for a graft

Postby Gemma » Wed 30 Oct 2019 8:30 pm

I have been having problems driving at night. I only have vision in my right and waiting for a graft in my right. I have found that it's the cars lights and street lights that are the problem they make my vision so blurred which makes it difficult to see. I have now decided that I can no longer drive at night which will have an affect on my job. Anyone else had a similar issue?

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee

Postby Anne Klepacz » Mon 04 Nov 2019 3:05 pm

We've certainly had quite a few people with similar issues here over the years. How will this affect your work - is driving part of your job or is it that you need to drive to and from work? If it's part of your job then your employer should make reasonable adjustments for you (do download the leaflets about KC, work and the law from the publications section of our website). If it's a question of getting to and from work, the Access to Work scheme may be able to help. Hopefully once you've had the graft and the vision has recovered then this won't be a problem.

Martin1822
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC
Vision: I don't have KC

Postby Martin1822 » Wed 06 Nov 2019 12:12 am

Hi,

I have PMD and I don’t drive in the dark I really don’t feel comfortable and often struggle with the glare of other car lights and street lights. New to this site but it is great finally after the last few years having others to chat and share our experiences with this really has cheered me up.

Evergreenf1

Postby Evergreenf1 » Sat 16 May 2020 5:39 pm

Wow, I honestly didn't even know this was a KC related problem, this never crossed my mind in all those years!!!!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”