Crosslinking on good eye.

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Marie_93
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Spectacles

Crosslinking on good eye.

Postby Marie_93 » Mon 15 Apr 2019 6:32 pm

Hey I'm new here so please forgive me if I post incorrect. I am due to have crosslinking procedure, but on my good eye to stop it worsening. I have been told my bad eye is too bad for crosslinking. Is there really a point where the eye can be no longer saved with crosslinking?

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Crosslinking on good eye.

Postby Anne Klepacz » Tue 16 Apr 2019 11:04 am

Hi Marie and welcome,
Like you say, the point of crosslinking is to stop KC getting worse. But if the cornea is too thin or has scarring, then the procedure can't be done. But the vision in a 'bad' eye can still usually be corrected with a contact lens. And if vision can't be corrected with lenses, then there's always a corneal transplant. So there are other ways of 'saving' the eye.

Marie_93
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Marie_93 » Wed 17 Apr 2019 9:16 am

Thanks for your reply. I have just gotten a new pair of glasses, I am still feeling dizzy and headaches since getting them and they dont feel quite right yet. Is this normal? I've been wearing them a week now, the right lens has such a high prescription.

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Anne Klepacz » Wed 17 Apr 2019 4:13 pm

We're all different so who knows what is 'normal'? But we can share experiences even if we may all react in different ways. Many years ago now, I had a time when I couldn't wear lenses (post graft surgery) and the prescription was very different in each eye. The hospital gave me some glasses, saying they weren't sure if I'd be able to manage with them as they were so unbalanced. And for the first week or two, I did find it hard. But after that my brain managed to adjust and I was OK. If things are no better in another week, I guess I'd go back to the opticians to see if anything else can be done. Good luck.

CrippsCorner
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby CrippsCorner » Wed 24 Apr 2019 11:49 am

Do you know how quickly your progression is on your good eye? Also how old are you?

I thought long and hard about getting CXL performed on my good eye, and in the end I went for it. Turns out, it was a bad choice for me as something went wrong with the procedure and now my good eye is my bad eye :cry:

I'm not here to try and put anyone off CXL, after all it worked fine in my other eye, but things can and do go wrong so it's definitely worth noting your progression first.

Marie_93
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Marie_93 » Mon 29 Apr 2019 8:34 am

Crippscorner you are not the first person I've read about where crosslinking hasn't worked or has gone wrong, its really worrying, my I'm 26 to answer your question, my good eye has really good vision with glasses at the mo, my bad eye even with glasses is useless, completely blurry so I completely rely on my good eye. If my good eye went as bad as the bad eye I don't know how I would lead a normal life!

CrippsCorner
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby CrippsCorner » Mon 13 May 2019 11:09 am

It certainly is a tough call. I'd never want to advise someone not to do it, then watch their vision deteriorate... keeping a close eye (excuse the pun) on your progression is definitely the key.

I only asked your age because when asking for advice, something said to me was if I was under 30 - Go for it, it's probably going to get worse. If I was over 30, leave it, it'll probably stabilise. Guess what, I was bang on 30 lol - Helpful!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”