Cost of RGP Lenses on the NHS?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

tme_1994
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC

Cost of RGP Lenses on the NHS?

Postby tme_1994 » Sun 11 Feb 2018 1:48 pm

Hi.. This is my first post.. i was recently diagnosed with KC following a routine eye test.. i had an appointment with my consultant in january and have been told i am to return in six months to chart progression and to assess if i require Collagen cross linking.. however i am struggling more and more with my sight, often having to strain more looking at the computer screen at work.. so i have looked into getting contact lenses. My local hospital does not have its own contact lens department but contracts out to a local high street opticians. I have been told that the hospital will only cover some of the cost of the lenses.. however reading these forums i notice that there is a NHS prescription charge for contact lenses currently £57.00 per lens. However i have been told by the secretary at my local hospital this isn't the case.. can someone help me as to whether i have been given the wrong information. Any help from people who have had contact lenses fitted via the NHS through a local optometrist would be great. Thanks :)

Gary Paterson
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: Cost of RGP Lenses on the NHS?

Postby Gary Paterson » Sun 11 Feb 2018 9:10 pm

Hi,

I have posted a similar question. My lenses cost me £650 a pair (one broke as i was cleaning it last week - cost me £250 to get a replacement!!!).

Hoping there is another solution...

RedOnion
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Other

Postby RedOnion » Sun 11 Feb 2018 9:16 pm

I've just been for my lenses and I was the same price. I think it's a standard price.

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Anne Klepacz » Mon 12 Feb 2018 11:40 am

I get my lenses from my hospital contact lens department, but hospitals that don't have one should be able to give you a voucher called HESp (Hospital Eye Service prescription) that you can take to the optician who has the contract to supply lenses with the hospital. From what I've heard from others here, opticians do vary a bit as to what they charge (some charge extra for providing the service) but the basic cost of lenses should be £57 per lens if you have a clinical need for contact lenses.

1seanc

Postby 1seanc » Fri 23 Feb 2018 12:56 am

A bit late to the party, but yes can confirm £57 per lens. I bought 2 this afternoon.

gsward
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby gsward » Fri 23 Feb 2018 4:14 pm

If we don't have one already, a list of hospitals with contact lens departments would be a useful addition to the site/group.

Many hospitals have good eye departments and can be very helpful in an urgent situation but not all will have a full contact lens team.
Here is the "starter":

London Moorfields Eye Hospital https://www.moorfields.nhs.uk/service/contact-lens

Grant
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Grant » Thu 01 Mar 2018 4:39 pm

Return to “General Discussion Forum”