Arc Welding after a corneal graft

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Eisa
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Arc Welding after a corneal graft

Postby Eisa » Tue 26 Sep 2017 10:27 am

Has anyone ever asked / been told if there are restrictions on using an electric arc welder after a graft? (now 3 years on). Odd question I know but I've come up with a blank on Google. I have face mask etc but I don't want to take any chances! It -should- be OK I think and I want to build some new driveway gates!

Bob

John Thatcher
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Arc Welding after a corneal graft

Postby John Thatcher » Tue 26 Sep 2017 8:17 pm

That's a great question Bob, always good to have a new challenge but unfortunately I have no idea of how to answer it. Not immediately obvious why there should be a problem in comparison with an ungrafted eye but, as you rightly say, you do not want to take any chances. Have you contacted the hospital where the graft was done? I suggest that would be the first port of call. Another thought is to ask someone like the Welding Institute if they have any guidance or at least a list of eye issues to take into account when welding and see if that gives you something to take back to the hospital if they don't know. Always possible someone else reading the forum has been through this already and will comment - I will be very interested to hear what you find out, John

Return to “General Discussion Forum”