Question from mild keratoconus patient

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

mcmingyu
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Spectacles

Question from mild keratoconus patient

Postby mcmingyu » Sun 30 Jul 2017 11:25 pm

Hello everyone
I'm new here and I'm just curious is there anyone who was diagnosed with keratoconus at early stages and had cxl/c3r done after which the spectacles still works.
As for me,I'm going to have c3r in a few weeks and now glasses seems enough for me(no ghost or double vision yet).
I'm a bit worried that after this operation glasses will no longer offer me a good vision as before the c3r operation.
Thanks.

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Question from mild keratoconus patient

Postby Anne Klepacz » Tue 01 Aug 2017 9:56 am

Hello and welcome,
The idea of CXL is to stop further progression and, if it's done early, avoid the need for moving to contact lenses to correct the vision. Of course, as with any surgical procedure, there's never a 100% guarantee that it will work well every time, and a few people do get a deterioration of vision (about 3 in 100 cases). There's good information on CXL, including a video here http://www.moorfields.nhs.uk/condition/keratoconus
But only you can weigh up the pros and cons for you!
All the best.

ryanbrown
Vision: Spectacles

Re: Question from mild keratoconus patient

Postby ryanbrown » Fri 25 Aug 2017 5:04 pm

Hi

I also have mild keratoconus just in my left eye, right is fine apart from v. mild short sight. I've been asking my nhs docs at Coventry (Walsgrave) about cxl since I started going around 2 years ago but just get fobbed off.

Would be good to know how you get on. Have you done this privately?

My last scan showed a small amount of progression and the doc wants to compare this to my next scan in October as the progression could be within error apparently.

From my perspective my sight is barely affected by KC but that's only due to my right eye being so good, what worries me is if I don't treat the left eye, it gets worse and my right starts to deteriorate it could be too late!

I'm hoping I'll be lucky, was only diagnosed at around 25, I'm now 28 with very little change but it's one of those things you don't want to risk.

Ryan

Return to “General Discussion Forum”