2nd graft

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

ADEWALLER
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

2nd graft

Postby ADEWALLER » Fri 08 Jul 2011 10:54 pm

i had a graft in my right eye in 2005. It was successfull and i gradularly got a really strong vision back. I have got KC also in my left ey which has been stabble until the last 3 years. It dropped in vision alot. then within the last two months its got really bad. I went to see my optition yesterday and he gave me the news i dreaded. yep the KC has developed so bad that it has damaged the cornea and there are lines over the top of it which is limiting the light getting into the eye and my sight is getting worse each day. I am now going back to hospital and it looks as though im going for my second graft. I have also lost alot of sight in my right eye which was getting better dount know whats happerning there,

This sight gave me so much support through my last graft in 2005 and im hoping it will this time as i am going through the same worries.

I am interested to see how many of us out there has got the condition in both eyes and have had to have a graft in both, i would like to hear the exsperiances of those that have. ill keep you posted on my developments.

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: 2nd graft

Postby Anne Klepacz » Sat 09 Jul 2011 9:25 am

I think the stats are that something like 5 - 10% of people who have a transplant in one eye go on to need a transplant in the other. So we're a minority (though lots of people do have KC in the other eye, but find it doesn't progress nearly as far). My grafts were 2 years apart, though I think for most people needing a graft in the second eye, the gap tends to be longer.
Certainly for me, it all seemed a lot easier the second time around when I had more idea of what to expect. So if you do need a second graft, you're not alone and I'm sure we'll all be supporting you here.
Best of luck
Anne

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sat 09 Jul 2011 10:40 am

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. I guess we are all delighted to learn how positive your experience was with graft #1.

I have had grafts into both eyes, and have found the experience unambiguously positive.

All the best

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

ADEWALLER
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ADEWALLER » Fri 15 Jul 2011 9:53 pm

Over past few days i am getting migrains every day, feel so tired all the time. the only thing i want to do is sleep. It hurts so much. any advice would really help. both eyes are really sore all the time.

went to the doctors yesterday, they have reffered me back to hospital

ADEWALLER
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ADEWALLER » Tue 05 Nov 2013 10:12 am

Hi all.

Sorry for the delay in post. Life got pretty hectic.

6 days ago I had my graft done in my left eye. I've been really unwell since having it done.headaches, heavy head. Sourness in my eye. Poor vision which I expect but also poor vision in my right eye to. Back to hospital today fir a check up.

Would live to know peoples experience of second graft. Is there any chance the good eye can loose vision?

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Anne Klepacz » Tue 05 Nov 2013 11:17 am

Hi Ade and welcome back,
6 days after the op, you're likely still be feeling the effects of the general anaesthetic which can take up to 2 weeks to clear out of the system. So that probably explains how rough you're feeling at the moment. I certainly remember feeling like a limp rag for a couple of weeks after my first op, though for some reason it was much better after my second graft when I think they gave me a smaller dose of the stuff.
So it's very early days still. But do get them to look at your other eye when you go for your check ups. The medics do tend to just look at the one they've just done and forget that we have two eyes that both need looking after!
All the best and keep us posted
Anne

ADEWALLER
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ADEWALLER » Tue 05 Nov 2013 1:29 pm

Thanks Ann

Probly is the anaesthetic I agree. Other thought was I have a contact lens in my eye and my eyes always swell when I have theses in so it may not be making me feel that great also.

ADEWALLER
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ADEWALLER » Tue 05 Nov 2013 6:47 pm

Back from hospital. Everything fine with the graft. Pain down to being dispensed wrong medication and headaches and dizzy spells due to still recovering from anaesthetic. Back next Monday to see surgeon

DavidGable
Committee
Committee

Postby DavidGable » Tue 05 Nov 2013 11:31 pm

I haven't any advice but I can say that I have had grafts in both eyes, one in 1986 and a second in 1995. I need to ware glasses to correct an astigmatism but apart from that I have gone on to have a full career and now my biggest problem is not seeing my golf ball if I hit a good shot.

The surgical methods have improved so there is every reason to believe you will have a positive experience after surgery.

Good Luck David

ADEWALLER
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ADEWALLER » Wed 06 Nov 2013 1:47 pm

Thanks david

Good to hear a positive exsperiance. Feel a little more positive today myself having a change in medication has made me feel a little more comfortable and hope now I'm on the road to recovery.

Adrian.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”