worry

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

MAGGIHAF
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Spectacles

worry

Postby MAGGIHAF » Sat 25 May 2013 6:20 pm

I am 24 years of age and reecently beein refereed to a surgeon for my KC, i was then refered to a contacts lens fitter, and then had contacts fitted in and adapted fine with them until last week where i was and AWFUL infection, i ave been in and out of eye casualty and had nothing but pain and trouble with my eye. I have been on medication for 4 weeks and suppose to be coming off it this week. I feel my kerrotaconus is now noticable in the left eye (might be paranoid) and can not see very well through it! ( i havent for a while) and worry the infection might have deteriorated the condition. I have now been refered to a corneal expert, to see what the options are. but so far, no one in the hospital has been of help and I am worried it's going to affect my life and my job.
has any one ever had an infection with the kera Rose lensens? can infections make the conditions worse?
Would be nice to hear a similar story!!!!! and maybe some reassurance!

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: worry

Postby Anne Klepacz » Sat 25 May 2013 6:28 pm

Hello and welcome,
You're definitely not the first person with KC to have got an infection. It's not surprising that with all the worry, you're much more aware of your KC, but as far as I know (and I'm not an expert) although unpleasant, infections don't affect the progress of KC. Hopefully someone will be along in a minute to reassure you, and it's good that you're seeing a corneal expert who will be able to tell you more.
In the meantime, if you'd like some of our information about KC and recent newsletters, just e-mail your postal address to anne@keratoconus-group.org.uk
All the best
Anne

MAGGIHAF

Postby MAGGIHAF » Sat 25 May 2013 8:00 pm

thank you for this, i am interested in the intacs and cross linking option, but will have to wait and see what the corneal expert will say first. of your knowledge, are any of these treatments recomended an effective? I tend to get mixed reviews online! And the only posative stories i tend to get are from people from America! They seem to be "in the shadow" about it in the uk

Thank you for your advice, mared

Loopy-Lou
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Loopy-Lou » Sat 25 May 2013 8:31 pm

regarding your KC being 'noticeable', when KC is advanced as in the curvature is really step, no lenses can be fitted and a graft is planned, at that point the only way to see the curvature of the cornea with the naked eye is looking at someone side on and very close up, even then, only if you know to do that!

MAGGIHAF

Postby MAGGIHAF » Sat 25 May 2013 8:51 pm

so i will probarbly need a graft then? oh god, and i'm only young too. you can see the cone shape, but then again i do check it all the time, andi don't know weather it's the infection that has made my eye look a bit more like this!

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sun 26 May 2013 4:48 pm

Why run to conclusions? If you need a graft, they will tell you, but it is entirely possible that, once your infection has subsided, they will be able to find another way of managing your keratoconus.

Every good wish.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

saima123
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and good vision

Postby saima123 » Mon 27 May 2013 12:26 am

hi
i completely agree with Andrew. after the infections things could calm down and different types of contact lens change might be all you need. and hey it's fine whatever happens graft or not i'm only 21 had my graft 18 months ago.It sucked to have KC
through my teens(the hormones kicking about are enough to handle lol) but what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger :wink: :D

hope things turn out the way you want them all the best

saima

Return to “General Discussion Forum”