double graft

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Mousework
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

double graft

Postby Mousework » Tue 30 Apr 2013 5:07 pm

anybody experience a double graft?

I am expected to have a double graft sometime in August,

they saying ill need both eyes need to be covered during the first 20 days,

saima123
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and good vision

Re: double graft

Postby saima123 » Wed 01 May 2013 2:05 am

Hi,

wow a double graft. i was always told by my consultant that they never graft both eyes at once because of complications.It's just better to take one eye on at a time plus if they saying you have to cover both for first 20 days that's pretty long time!!
My gut instinct would be to get one eye done and then see how things are and and then if i still feel i need the second one done then get that done.

what are your feelings about this?

all the best
saima

Mousework
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Mousework » Wed 01 May 2013 7:43 am

i was told this as well, but in my last appointment i had to see this really experience doctor which is rarely there, and she made the recommendation due to the sight getting worse, an example of how bad the sight is they are testing the acutely using fingers. Also i am unable to recondite 3,8 and 9 on the charts now

Loopy-Lou
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Loopy-Lou » Wed 01 May 2013 10:45 am

I've never heard of an elective double-graft, what concerns me is that it's typically a year before the stitches are removed and lenses can be fitted, it means being effectively blind for quite some time, but if you're almost there now..will these be DALK or PK grafts?
I think you need to ask more questions about the risks, and enquire about other double-grafts and outcomes

saima123
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and good vision

Postby saima123 » Thu 02 May 2013 1:47 am

oooh i see. Well my KC is pretty bad too it started when i was about 14/15 and my only problem was if i sat at the back in class then i could never read what was on the board. But from that the KC started progressing till i had to continuously squint to ever see anything,i got so bad if i sat right next to someone i still couldn't make out their facial expression. but yes i think loopylou is right you really ask more questions and see if the advantages out weigh the disadvantages in your situation

keep us informed how things go .hope things work out for you

Mousework
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Mousework » Thu 02 May 2013 8:02 pm

saima123 wrote:oooh i see. Well my KC is pretty bad too it started when i was about 14/15 and my only problem was if i sat at the back in class then i could never read what was on the board. But from that the KC started progressing till i had to continuously squint to ever see anything,i got so bad if i sat right next to someone i still couldn't make out their facial expression. but yes i think loopylou is right you really ask more questions and see if the advantages out weigh the disadvantages in your situation

i spoke to them today, and they going to separate it over four month period, lights burn my eyes, and give me migration, and i cant focus on people.

Mousework
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Mousework » Thu 02 May 2013 8:03 pm

saima123 wrote:oooh i see. Well my KC is pretty bad too it started when i was about 14/15 and my only problem was if i sat at the back in class then i could never read what was on the board. But from that the KC started progressing till i had to continuously squint to ever see anything,i got so bad if i sat right next to someone i still couldn't make out their facial expression. but yes i think loopylou is right you really ask more questions and see if the advantages out weigh the disadvantages in your situation

i spoke to them today, and they going to separate it over four month period, lights burn my eyes, and give me migration, and i cant focus on people.

Loopy-Lou
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Loopy-Lou » Thu 02 May 2013 8:17 pm

I'm relieved for you, really hope it works out ok

Mousework
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Mousework » Fri 03 May 2013 9:50 am

i have pre op class in a couple of weeks, were they going to go through the procedure

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sat 04 May 2013 9:50 am

I was legally blind and they still wouldn't do a double graft. I think it may have been because of the risks inherent in the PK procedure. All the best with yours.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Return to “General Discussion Forum”