48 hours post op (PK corneal graft)

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

nik12345
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: On the waiting list for a graft

48 hours post op (PK corneal graft)

Postby nik12345 » Fri 24 Feb 2012 12:56 am

Hi all,

I just had my transplant done, my eyes are very sensitive to the computer screen so I'll have to keep it short for now.

Firstly I'm extremely thankful to the kind soul who donated a cornea. But I'll admit a part of me wishes I didn't do this. I wish someone can give me hope and let me know that the pain will go away soon...I'm depressed and can't do anything except lay in bed all day.

When I woke up my eye felt swollen and there was a stinging sensation in my eye. The protective shield they put on felt too tight but the nurse said that was alright so we did not adjust anything. I stayed overnight at hospital, and in the morning, I started two types of drops Pred Forte and Chlorsig. I put these in every few hours. and next week, I'll be in again for a follow up.

I think for the most part it all went well. Though I can barely open my operated eye due to the discomfort. I believe I have a total of 16 sutures and I'm still having to wear the protective shield over it. I must sleep on my back only and I worry about getting water in my eye whilst I shower so I keep my head out of the water and wash my face with a towel when I get out.

I have tried a few times to see out of the operated eyes and I can see my hand in front of me, it's still a bit of a blur but much better than what it used to be. It's amazing!

If you have had a corneal graft...can you let me know how long does it take before the discomfort goes away and you can use your eye again? I mean the stingy mild pain and sensitivity to light? is it like that for everyone?

What about in the shower how do you wash your hair and face?

thanks for listening

nik12345

Re: 48 hours post op (PK corneal graft)

Postby nik12345 » Fri 24 Feb 2012 12:58 am

edit: operated eye* not eyes...

saima123
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and good vision

Postby saima123 » Fri 24 Feb 2012 6:03 am

Hi Nik

I hope you start to feel better soon. i had my graft done 6 months ago, fairly recently and the first month is or two are difficult as you have to be careful and take good post op care. For the discomfort i took paracetamol and ibuprofen for the first week or so.It helps and keeps the stinging pain to a bare minimum.

And with the shield try to get it put on in a way that feels comfortable for you. Just make sure it clean at all times and tape it loosely maybe get someone else to do it for you I got my mum to do mine. Right the sensitivity to light happened to most people I think . just put on some sun glass's and and things do start to get better.

oh yeah nearly wear your shield when showering water shouldn't touch the grafted eye for the first three months I think
keep us up to date how your getting along
all the best
saima

saima123
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and good vision

Postby saima123 » Fri 24 Feb 2012 6:07 am

sorry forgot to answer this before the pain /discomfort won't last for long no more than 2/3 weeks maximum :D :D :D :D

nik12345

Postby nik12345 » Fri 24 Feb 2012 6:33 am

thanks for your reply saima, good to hear that your doing well. I feel a little better.

Can you now see out of your operated eye? I mean without contacts? and are you still needing to use drops? any stitches been removed yet?

Jezzafletcher
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby Jezzafletcher » Fri 24 Feb 2012 6:38 am

Hiya - I had my graft 14 months ago. Your thoughts, feelings, worries and difficulties are all very typical of where I was at and, from what I have read was the same for others. Stick with it - have you read the blog by sb0084 (Steve) on the General Discussion Forum (this one?). I wish it had been around after I had had my graft- it very much covers the operation, recovery, worries and how to manage. You are very early in the recovery and it will get better. Hang on in there, persevere and have hope. Post on here as often as you want/need to and I am sure a post operative member will respond.

Best wishes

Jez

nik12345

Postby nik12345 » Fri 24 Feb 2012 6:45 am

saima123 wrote:sorry forgot to answer this before the pain /discomfort won't last for long no more than 2/3 weeks maximum :D :D :D :D

I hope that's the same for me too.

Jezzafletcher wrote:have you read the blog by sb0084 (Steve) on the General Discussion Forum (this one?). I wish it had been around after I had had my graft
will do but if someone could please link... in case I have troubles finding it. Thanks by the way!

feels good to hear from those who are/have experiencing what I am now. Although I have the support of family I'm very alone in this thing and it does get me down.

Jezzafletcher
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby Jezzafletcher » Fri 24 Feb 2012 8:18 am

Flying out of door - will communicate properly soon - I promise.

It 's about 10th subject down on general forum " Recent DALK & transplant blog" - link is in post itself... It was started in August 2011 and covers both pre and post op experiences.

Have a better day & will speak soon. As I said in one of my little rambles on here - we are unique but that does not mean we have to be isolated!

Jez

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Anne Klepacz » Fri 24 Feb 2012 10:40 am

Hi Nik,
A large part of how you feel at the moment is likely to be down to the general anaesthetic you had, which takes up to 2 weeks to work itself out of the system. I know I felt like a zombie for the first week or two after my ops. And they were 25 yrs ago when we had the luxury of a 3 day hospital stay, being waited on hand and foot! These days, people are sent home the same day or the next morning.
Light sensitivity is normal after the op - I remember there was snow on the ground after my first one, which was unbearably bright! Hospitals back then used to issue graft patients with very dark sunglasses when they sent them home. And yes, you do need to be careful not to get water in the grafted eye for a while.
But it's very early days for you. After a week or so, no one looking at you would even know you've had an eye operation. And, as others have said, after 2 weeks or so, you should be feeling back to your normal self with perhaps just a bit of 'gunginess' and discomfort in the mornings.
All the best for a good recovery
Anne

ruralrob
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby ruralrob » Sat 25 Feb 2012 4:10 pm

Sorry to hear that you’re not feeling to great .

I Had my transplant on the 15th December 2011 .I found the first week the worst in terms of discomfort .I had to wear sunglasses the first 2 days when I went outside as my eye was very sensitive to light .I found the drops quite awkward to get in but slowly got used to it .I also found for the first 2-3 weeks the eye was a right pain for having a shower / bath etc as any splash of water tended to find its way there somehow !.

Anyway after about 3 weeks the eye started to feel normal again ,hardly any irritation ,having showers /washing hair was no trouble .My main problem now is remembering to take the drops as I forget I had it done at times (maybe I’m lucky ).Sight wise I had hardly any vision before the opp and now I have some ,not great but 10x better than before ,which I am hoping will improve in time with the aid of a contact lens or preferably glasses .

Hope this helps in some small way .Do message me if you want to ask any questions.

Wishing you a very speedy recovery

Return to “General Discussion Forum”