Drops

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Adam1234
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Drops

Postby Adam1234 » Sat 04 Feb 2012 9:19 am

Ever since I've had my graft done my girlfriend has done my drops for me simply because it was easier and I struggled to do them. I've recently been put on less stronger drops but I've been given a few boxes of single use drops which I've never used before ive always had bottles. I'm going back to work next week so ive been trying to put them in myself, the only problem I have is I seem to get a drop in but I'm never sure if it's a full drop so I put some more in will this cause me a problem? Another question why are they single use there is always a lot left in so isnt it the same as a bottle keep using until empty?

Thanks Adam

GrandPaClanger
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Drops

Postby GrandPaClanger » Sat 04 Feb 2012 9:04 pm

Hi Adam

Without knowing what the drops are its not possible to say if they will harm you or not. Some steroid drops are very powerfull Dexamethasone for example and LONG TERM over doses can cause problems such as increased pressure in the eye and cataracts. It is unlikely that the odd extra drop is going to cause you issues but you should practice getting them in to avoid the need for a second drop. I tend to let the first drop fall to the floor as it often wll have air trapped in it so you don't get a full dose. As for the rest BIN IT. Single dose drops don't contain any preservatives and you run the risk of infection if you try and store them.

All the best
Ian

Adam1234
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Adam1234 » Sun 05 Feb 2012 5:18 pm

Thanks for the advice :) my drops are prednisolone sodium phosphate that's what it says on box! That's the only drop I'm taking 4 times a day for anther two weeks until its reduced to 3. Il try and describe it a bit better sometimes a drop will go in but it will also go all over my eyelid etc and make my eye watery, another drop I sometimes barely feel yet a drop has gone in yet is it enough? Just in two minds and it's really annoying me haha!

Thanks Adam

Susan Mason
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Susan Mason » Sun 05 Feb 2012 9:58 pm

Hi all

I too would be grateful for any tips, as Adam since my graft, where possible someone has done the drops for me but obviously sometimes I need to do my own and do seen to struggle :(

Susan
don't let the people that mean nothing to you get you down, because in the end they are worth nothing to you, they are just your obstacles in life to trip you up!

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Mon 06 Feb 2012 10:19 am

I developed cataracts after long term exposure to Dexamethasone and Prednisalone drops. I then went on to develop diabetes. What this tells me is that there is no cure without a cost, and in my own case I am absolutely certain that the cost is worth paying for the cure.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Adam1234
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Adam1234 » Mon 06 Feb 2012 1:01 pm

I was taking prednisolone 6 times a day for 8 weeks I'm now on it 4 times for another two weeks until its reduced to three for two weeks then 2 for two weeks until I'm seen again. I dnt think I'd be able to handle being told I have cataracts after having a graft! Susan I've decided im going to get someone to put them in for me my doctor advised me to do that abd luckily my shift partner at work is first aider so knows how to put them in.

Adam

Susan Mason
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Susan Mason » Wed 08 Feb 2012 12:09 am

Hi all

seems we are all on different drops and frequencies of administration. My graft was 18th Jan and my drops are 4 times a day (I was advised breakfast dinner tea and bed time) and drops are dexamethasone sodium phosphate 0.1% (minims) and levofloxacin 5mg/ml. Next review for me in clinic is 14th Feb so I am unsure as yet what will be treatment longer term.

Susan
don't let the people that mean nothing to you get you down, because in the end they are worth nothing to you, they are just your obstacles in life to trip you up!

GrandPaClanger
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GrandPaClanger » Wed 08 Feb 2012 7:10 am

Hi Adam

I have to be honest I always use a wall mounted mirror. This is in the form of a shaving mirror at home and a mirror in the rest room at work. I know when they gave me contact lenses they said try and do it without a mirror so you can always do it if one is not available. I cannot recall the same advice being given for drops although you could argue it applies. Also by using the rest room it forces me to take a break from the computer screen I am stuck at all day.

Ian

Adam1234
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Adam1234 » Wed 08 Feb 2012 7:34 pm

What does vision look like when your graft is rejectin?

Return to “General Discussion Forum”