First eye clinic appointment

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

gill501
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

First eye clinic appointment

Postby gill501 » Thu 03 Mar 2011 10:58 pm

So today was my outpatient appointment at Crosshouse Hospital. Supposed to see a Mr Srinivasan but saw another man from his team, ran some tests, took pressure and sizes from my eyes! He said fairly sure I have keratoconus but I need to have a corneal map!? done to confirm. The appointment for that could take another 6-8 weeks. :-(
Found today's tests ok, the freezing of my eyeballs felt a bit weird though. Can anyone tell me more about this corneal map? Also what's the time scale been for you from initial appointment to getting lenses/treatment?
Thanks.
Inside this body lies that of a skinny lady.... But I can usually shut her up with chocolate!

melissa
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: First eye clinic appointment

Postby melissa » Fri 04 Mar 2011 9:39 am

the corneal map is totally painless. basically you look into a machine with some concentric circle lights, which flash and do funny stuff to measure the 'contours' of your cornea. the results are instant and the optham should be able to advise you from there. i can't comment on timescales in the UK - sorry but in SA i went straight from the optham to the optomotrist who 'fitted' me and i collected new lenses a week later.

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Anne Klepacz » Fri 04 Mar 2011 9:59 am

Wow, Melissa! I'm afraid timescales for NHS treatment in the UK are months rather than weeks. But hopefully not too many months!
Anne

gill501
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby gill501 » Sun 06 Mar 2011 10:03 pm

Thanks for the info Melissa it's put my mind at ease. And Anne I figured it would be in the months rather than weeks to get this sorted. What a shame :-/
Inside this body lies that of a skinny lady.... But I can usually shut her up with chocolate!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”