Cornea Transplant

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

pam39
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Spectacles

Cornea Transplant

Postby pam39 » Sun 02 Jan 2011 12:00 am

Hi, Im going to Glasgow on Thursday for the 1st stage of a cornea transplant (right eye). Consultant says he needs to do it in 2-3 stages as it is a large diameter graft. Getting the outer edge done first as it is too thin for the central part of my cornea to be stitched on to it or something? Consultant said I woukd need to take anti-rejection drugs, I thought you got drops (steroids) to stop any rejection episodes but my immune system has to be suppressed. The drugs are scaring me a bit more than the op to be honest. Anyone out there with experience of this. My general health is good, rarely get ill (as in flu/colds), so a bit worried about my immunity being compromised. It is a great opportunity though as my consultant here in Aberdeen didn't think a graft was possible. Fingers crossed.
Wishing you all a Happy New Year :)

Pam

Sheila_e
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Re: Cornea Transplant

Postby Sheila_e » Sun 02 Jan 2011 6:53 am

Hi Pam,
I was taking drugs to surpress my immune system prior to my last graft, as I have Lupus,than I was taking AZA, I than had to have a re garft and the hospital wanted to change my drugs to surpress my system futher. I agree the drugs are scarey espeically when you read about the possible side effectives. I am now on Cellcept 2gs and 10mg of steroids daily. My advice would be to ensure that eaither the hospital or your GP surgey do your blood tests at the recommended times. mine was weekly for the first month and two weekly thereafter. My consultant give me a print out of the test they needed to do. This helped reassure me, knowing that someone had oversight on what was going on inside as it were. My GP's surgery is very good and I have what they call a near care nurse who does all the blood tests for people who take immunosurpressants and is responsible for tracking the results so I know someone will contact me if things are changing, does help reduce my worrying.
The other little thing I do is use thoses hand gels, when out and about, it just makes me feel better as I do am worryabout catching something.
I hope this helps a little and wish you all the best for Thursday
Best wishes
Sheila

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sun 02 Jan 2011 9:23 am

Pam,

Every good wish. I know it seems scary just now, but have confidence in your surgeon and the whole team in Glasgow. I am sure things will work out for the good.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

pam39
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Spectacles

Postby pam39 » Sun 02 Jan 2011 10:21 pm

Thanks for the tips, I will post an update after op when I am back home. Being admitted Thursday, op on Friday so hopefully home on Saturday (fingers crossed).
Hoping I won't be away from work for to long, though I am very lucky as my employer is great, really understanding and supportive. I know by reading some of the posts on the forum that some people are not so lucky. Anyway thanks again.

Pam :)

Return to “General Discussion Forum”