Light Sensitivity?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Dave Dale
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Light Sensitivity?

Postby Dave Dale » Tue 13 Apr 2004 8:58 am

Hello folks,

I have noticed over the past few weeks how much more sensitive to light my left eye has become?

To the point with my eyes closed i can 'see' more light through my left eye and my right, as if my eye lid is thinner on my left eye. Also, the outlines of light stay in my eye much longer..hard to explain but I guess if anyone else is the same they will recognise the symptoms?

If I look at any light source, headlights, normal house lights etc..and then close my eyes the 'image' or silloulete stays in my vision my much longer than it used to, anything upto minutes later I can close my eyes and still see the light image as a green/blue outline?

Is this down to the light senstiivity associated with KC?

Cheers folks,
Dave. :shock:

Andrew MacLean
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Light Sensitivity

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 14 Apr 2004 9:24 am

Hi Dave

How are you getting on with your light sensitivity? I think this is a fairly common phenomenon with KC, and I wear "UV excluders" that I buy from the RNIB. They cut out all the UV and all but 16 oercent of the visible light. What a difference they make!

I think I read somewhere that with KC the sclera becomes thinner so that some light seeps into the eye through the white bit and this causes pain ... does anybody else rememvber reading this, or am I mistaken (entirely possible).

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Dave Dale
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Dave Dale » Wed 14 Apr 2004 10:01 am

Thanks for the reply Alex.

That makes sense and I have never read/heard about it before..but wil ask at my next consultation.

I wear pinhole glasses around the house which help a little to improve vision and of course filter out a lot of light.

Regards,
dave.

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Light Sensitivity? Light Sensitivity

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 14 Apr 2004 11:37 am

Let me know what your consultant says. Meantimne, all the best with your pinhold specs.
Andrew MacLean

Susan Mason
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Contact lenses

Pin Hole Specs

Postby Susan Mason » Sun 18 Apr 2004 9:47 pm

You mention pin hole glasses, do you find them a help? Where did you get them from? When I was assesed by the Eye Hospital in Liverpool around 15 months ago they mentioned them and suggested it may help to watch TV however, they were not keen to go further as they felt if I was to try to walk around in them I could have an accident. At the time I did not give it much thought however as time has passed and my eyes/vision has changed I am now at a point where without my sclerals in I can't see much at all so pin hole specs could hardly himder. Does anyone else have any experience of them?

Rob Armstrong
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Liverpool eye hospital

Postby Rob Armstrong » Sun 18 Apr 2004 10:33 pm

Hi Susan, which one did you attend? I go to Walton Hospital (part of Aintree Hospitals) but have read on here before that there is another eye hospital actually in Liverpool (the city centre).

Just wondering, thats all.

I was notably sensitive to light last summer following my graft, but it seems to be much less of a problem now. The low winter sun wasn't too bad compared to previous years, but I guess i'll have to wait a bit longer to see how I cope with proper sunshine.

Rob.

Bruce Robertson
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bruce Robertson » Mon 19 Apr 2004 9:51 am

I have just now read (in the latest NKCF newsletter) a caveat by Dr Arthur Epstein re pinhole glasses. Here is what he said:
'Pinhole glasses produce a clear image by limiting light rays entering the eye to a narrow bundle. This reduces distortion and improves vision but it also dramatically reduces the amount of light entering the eye. A pinhole "lens" may be useful in an emergency but pinhole glasses are inappropriate and potentially dangerous for routine use.'

Just when I thought it might be a solution...
:?
It would be nice to have other opinions, though.

Cheers from sunny France,
Bruce

Susan Mason
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Contact lenses

Liverpool Eye Hospitals

Postby Susan Mason » Mon 19 Apr 2004 11:26 am

In answer to the question, the hospital in Liverpool that I attended was.....

"The Royal Liverpool University Hospital, St Pauls Eye Unit"

This is part of the Royal Liverpool & Broadgreen University Hospitals NHS Trust.

I live no-where near Liverpool, however was referred to them to have an extensive range of tests completed to clarify for my employers (via the Access to Work Scheme in conjunction with the RNIB) just how much of a problem KC was causing me! (a great pity that trust no-longer exists between employer and employee!!) At the time, I didn't have any lenses at all,and had been through 12 months where each lens fitting failed..........I've now had a pair of sclerals for 12 months...things are a lot better, however, the Royal Bolton Hospital (whom I am under) are now suggesting that my left eye may have "flattened out" and may need another lens re-fit, which I am told, may/may not work and could improve/worsen my current vision.

Life's a complete hoot isn't it !!!!!....... especially when they tell you at work... "..don't worry if you are having a bad day, you can come in and hand-write instead of type!" - at what point do people realise that if you can't see to type on an extra-large monitor with special large keyboard, you certainly can't see to write on the paper in front of you.

Shame about the pinhole glasses, made it a lot easier to see!.....screwing you eyes up all the time to try to focus on things (without lenses in ) often gives one a headache.

Mike Oliver
Contributor
Contributor

Light sensitivity/pinhole glasses

Postby Mike Oliver » Tue 20 Apr 2004 9:23 am

Does the article on pinhole glasses say why they are a potential danger? I wonder whether this is for any medical reason or simply because of the obvious risks of your field of vision being severely restricted i.e. the risk of accidents. I have never worn pinhole glasses or lens but remember volunteering as a subject for students'exams years ago. They had me look through a pinhole spectacle lens without my sclerals. Suddenly and unaided the world had sharp edges again!

Dave Dale
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Dave Dale » Tue 20 Apr 2004 7:58 pm

mm the pinhole thing has got me worried!!

I have used them since xmas 2003 and put them on when not wearing my lenses, first thing in morn whilst geting dressed etc...

I bought them off the internet for about £8..I only got them because when going for eye check-ups I could always read the chart loads better with these on..and they do make watching tv easier!!

I will ask my consultant when I go on Wed about this?

Dave.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”