My experiences

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

WimbledonWomble
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

My experiences

Postby WimbledonWomble » Tue 20 Jul 2010 3:27 pm

Hello, I am 16 and about 3 years ago i was diagnosed with KC. we were referred to the NHS whose idea of treatment was contact lenses ... (time lapse) graft. I was worried and i didn't like the sound of that. My parents were extrmemly concerned too. After many weeks of incorrect contact lens fittings and unsatisfactory results (during whioch i had to take time off of school to visit the appointments) we decided to go private. We visited a couple of private clinics but settled on 'asbridges' in salisbury. Mr. jones (As i call him :D) was fantastic (sill is) and got the fittings correct on both eyes first time. I am quite a good golfer and after not being able to see properly at all i was able to see the ball's flight in the air just like i had done before my diagnosis.

But there is more! We were really unhappy about the prospect of just waiting for a graft, so we looked into visiting Germany for a CCL procedure. (In Dresden) To cut a long story short i had the procedure done on both eyes and my eyes are both stable and have been for 2 and 2 1/2 years respectively. The staff there were fantastic and I owe them so much gratitude. In summary, i just wanted to say to anyone how much i would recommend the Germany route if you are considering CCL. It is daunting but the people are very welcoming and helpful and kind and understanding. They originally pioneered the op and have been performing it for a long time. I know this probably wasn't a rip roaring read but i just thought i'd share my experiences thus far. Thanks for reading,

Dan :)

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: My experiences

Postby Anne Klepacz » Tue 20 Jul 2010 8:11 pm

Hi Dan and welcome to the forum!
And thank you for sharing your experiences. It's really encouraging to hear about positive experiences like yours. And all the best with the golf!
Anne

sally+david
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby sally+david » Thu 22 Jul 2010 6:43 pm

I am interested to hear about your cross linking in Dresden. I am considering this for my 13 year old son. The application to the quality Care Commission in the UK seems to take a long time. Is this why you went to Dresden. Which clinic did you go to?
Thank you

Sweet
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Sweet » Wed 28 Jul 2010 7:39 am

Dan,

That is really excellent news! It is so good to hear success stories :lol: I really hope that everything stays stable for you and you can continue playing golf. I understand that it would be extremely hard if you cannot watch the ball in the air!!

Thanks for sharing, love Claire X x X
Sweet X x X

Return to “General Discussion Forum”