Famous KC - Yup does happen

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

space_cadet
Champion
Champion
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Famous KC - Yup does happen

Postby space_cadet » Fri 26 Feb 2010 5:35 pm

the only tutor at uni who is any use in terms of helping not hindering my educatin has just sent me this email

http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2010/02/ ... 266908137/

http://www.canada.com/sports/2010winter ... story.html

there are a lot of other links out there
so at last just proves you can win medals and have KC!!!!

Lea
xox
May09 Diagnosed with KC, March 2010 after a failed transplant it has left me legally blind a long cane user (since 2010) who is blind in a once sighted world

Matt Allgood
Committee
Committee

Re: Famous KC - Yup does happen

Postby Matt Allgood » Sat 27 Feb 2010 12:33 pm

Good for him and a broadly positive story, although the association of keratoconus with blindness grates with me somewhat.

Matt Allgood
(Mild Keratoconic)

Charlottes mum
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC
Vision: I don't have KC

Postby Charlottes mum » Sat 27 Feb 2010 1:16 pm

Quite nicely and neatly summed up by the writer. To quote my favourite singers (The Proclaimers) ..."They make it sound easy....."
Nice to hear a good outcome for the KC'er though but as we all know here C3-R just ain't always an option. Still I guess thats not what they're saying and I am happy for the guy who's had the treatment and is fine. Agree re the wording and the association with blindness too............I wouldn't have written it up like that myself either :roll:
"Promise me you'll always remember that you're braver than you believe, you are stronger than you seem and smarter than you think" .....Winnie the Pooh

space_cadet
Champion
Champion
Vision: Other

Postby space_cadet » Sat 27 Feb 2010 1:29 pm

the 'blindeness' just adds more to the thinking of does KC = full blindness as we have a perception of or is it a fear of blindness....
May09 Diagnosed with KC, March 2010 after a failed transplant it has left me legally blind a long cane user (since 2010) who is blind in a once sighted world

Charlottes mum
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC
Vision: I don't have KC

Postby Charlottes mum » Sat 27 Feb 2010 1:56 pm

My take on it is that quite often any eye problem/disease/condition of any severity whatsoever can lend itself to misuse of the "B" word :? I've almost gotten used to seeing the "whites of people's eyes" (no pun intended) when I've started to try to explain about Charlotte's diag of KC. Still it's better than seeing them "glaze over" (no pun etc etc) :roll: :roll: I must sometimes sound like a KC wikipedia woman I think. :) :)
"Promise me you'll always remember that you're braver than you believe, you are stronger than you seem and smarter than you think" .....Winnie the Pooh

BurnTheAction
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby BurnTheAction » Mon 01 Mar 2010 4:38 pm

my Aunt in the USA called me up to speak to me about this guy, apparently he has had laser treatment and square contacts under the cornea and has great vision?? Is it really a workable solution?

Return to “General Discussion Forum”