Intacs

Don't ask questions here; this is for posting closed FAQs with their answers only.

Moderators: John Smith, Sweet

Craig Duncan

Re: Intacs

Postby Craig Duncan » Sat 28 Mar 2009 2:27 pm

Rosemary

Thanks for the posting...Oh yes very short sighted in my left eye it has got to the stage where I have had a "balance" lens put in my glasses for that eye. As it felt that each eye was trying to be more dominant than the other and my vision was all over the place as a result.

:roll:

Mabs
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Mabs » Wed 04 Nov 2009 12:08 am

hello i am new here, i have had KC since i was 14 years of age im 21 now, i suffer KC in my left eye mostly but i just found out that my rigth eye is hsowing sgins of the KC development :oops: . but iwas gogin to ask can i get intacts with in the south west? i have asked about X linkage but can only be done privately and they are after nearly 1500 for it. so my question here is can i get it anywhere in my area. thank you

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Thu 05 Nov 2009 2:06 pm

Mabs

Welcome to the forum. INTACS has been approved by Nice, so even if it is not offered by any hospital in your area, you ought to be able to get a referral to another centre where it is available.

One word of caution: it may be that they will look at your corneas and decide that they are already too think to accept an Intacs semi-ring. If this is so, then they probably won't refer you.

All the best

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Mabs
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Mabs » Thu 05 Nov 2009 7:54 pm

thank you for the welcome, im just gettin so afraid now :oops: my optuions has decidd to give me a hard lens for my right eye now, whihc to be honest i doont really want. i alredy wear a hard lens on my left eye and i cant really bare it very much, dont no what to do

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Thu 05 Nov 2009 8:40 pm

Why not tell your optometrist that you are having difficulty with your rigid lenses and ask about soft lens options?

All the best

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Mabs
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Mabs » Fri 06 Nov 2009 12:10 am

oh i have but they say i have to get use to it, so they say there is no point me going for soft lens really, however i am on the list for a transplant also.

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Fri 06 Nov 2009 11:34 am

Actually, when the time came that I wasn't coping with any lenses I Greed to my first graft. That was a decision I have never regretted.
Andrew MacLean

Craig Duncan

Postby Craig Duncan » Fri 08 Jan 2010 6:04 am

Hello again

12 months on from getting the Intact fitted and the long and short of it is this:-

1) My unaided vision has become a lot worse....-10 to -16ish ( Very shortsighted)
2) Still have the "Halo's" which is caused by the light entering my eye and refracting off the edge of the Intact rings. Aparrently exacerbated due to myself having a large pupils.
3) I Can now wear soft lens again in the Intacts eye with pretty reasonable vision......although getting the Lens out again takes some doing.
4) Have also been given a contact lens to wear with glasses which has a balance lens in for the Intact eye.

So far..no regrets about getting it done and just a bit disappointed with 1) + 2) above. I have been offered to have the Intact removed, but do not really see the point of that as it would mean a Graft in it's place and quite happy to live with it meantime.

Anyway... I thought it was about time I kept you posted.

Trust you all had a great Xmas + New Year.

Craig

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee

Postby Anne Klepacz » Fri 08 Jan 2010 10:48 am

Many thanks for the update, Craig. And it's good to hear that you're positive overall, despite the disappointments. It would be wonderful if there was a procedure for KC which was guaranteed to work 100% of the time for everybody! Unfortunately, life's not like that, and we often end up with a compromise solution. But it's great that Intacs have enabled you to wear a more comfortable soft lens and that your corrected vision is now good. I hope all continues to go well for you.
Anne

magpie
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC
Vision: I don't have KC

Postby magpie » Tue 26 Jan 2010 4:30 am

My son is 17 and had keratoconus in both eyes.we have been told he should have intacs,but im a bit wary,can anyone tell me the difference between intacs and cross linking which is better.My sons sight is very poor.

Return to “Frequently asked Questions - and Answers”