ciclosporin a

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Graeme Stevenson
Optometrist
Optometrist
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC

Re: ciclosporin a

Postby Graeme Stevenson » Mon 22 Jun 2009 7:14 pm

Rosemary

Remember that alison is using Cyclosporin as a dry eye drop and NOT as an Immunosuppressant for graft rejection. Concentrations are very different for the eye drop version to that of the systemic drug and to the best of my knowledge the Ophthalmic version has not been used to help prevent graft rejection.
Of course everyone must be aware when reading the Restasis website that it is produced by the drug manufacturers Allergan. Having said that drug companies are very aware of making unsubstantiated claims.

Ali Akay
Optometrist
Optometrist
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC
Vision: I don't have KC

Postby Ali Akay » Tue 23 Jun 2009 10:13 pm

I had a patient a few years ago who used to get Cyclosporine drops for her dog's dry eye problem at £30 a bottle, and used to use it on herself now and again! Then decided to get Hypromellose drops for her own dry eyes and use that on her dog as well which didnt cost anything as she was over 60! On a more serious note, it is believed to be very effective for dry eyes but not everyone is keen on it due to potential side effects, I do however have a few patients using Cyclosporin ointment for allergic conjunctivitis, I have been told by the consultant that, although it is primarily an immunosuppressant, it does NOT increase risk of eye infection when used topically. They have it dispensed by the hospital pharmacy, so I assumed it must be readily available.

Anne B
Champion
Champion
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby Anne B » Fri 26 Jun 2009 1:35 pm

Hi all

I have tried the Cyclosporin drops for animals didn't get on with them (these where prescribed by my consultant, but only avaliable from Moorfields pharmacy) I have also tried the Cyclosporin drops in human form and they stung like mad, one of these were purple and they made everything look purple. I have also tried resitasis and Although these were really good the cost was huge and could not afford to carry on with them. I also take oral Cyclosporin for my allergic eye disease (aswell as a small dose of oral steroids)
I have only been prescribed this medication for the allergic eye disease and as far as I know they are not used to fight rejection in corneal transplant patients. Although this medication has a long list of side affects i am monitored very carefully with blood test and a few weeks back a all day kidney function test.
I am hoping that resitasis will be avaliable here very soon, fingers crossed!

Sweet
Committee
Committee
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Sweet » Sat 27 Jun 2009 3:26 pm

Rosemary,

Thanks for writing about it being used as a cancer drug as I knew I had heard of it somewhere as Cyclosporin! LOL!I haven't heard of it as a dry eye treatment though but probably because I do very well with Systane and don't need to look for anything else.

Hoping you find something that works, love Claire X x X
Sweet X x X

Return to “General Discussion Forum”