Make up & KC

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

space_cadet
Champion
Champion
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Make up & KC

Postby space_cadet » Sun 07 Jun 2009 10:09 pm

I love to do my make up in ways that aren't necessarily conventional. I have lost a fair bit of weight since some of these were taken, but for example :

May 07 : Image

Hours before watching my beloved Leeds United Image

But now stuck doing boring stuff that some regard as 'normal' as cant see well enough to have fun and be creative :( :- Easter this year : Image

Just wondering if others struggle iwth make up.

Lea
xox
May09 Diagnosed with KC, March 2010 after a failed transplant it has left me legally blind a long cane user (since 2010) who is blind in a once sighted world

Andrew MacLean

Re: Make up & KC

Postby Andrew MacLean » Mon 08 Jun 2009 6:13 am

Lea

There was a string about make-up and KC some time ago, but I'm afraid I've not been able to locate it this morning. Somebody will be along in a moment who has expert insight to share! :D

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

space_cadet
Champion
Champion

Postby space_cadet » Mon 08 Jun 2009 9:39 am

Thanks Andrew, I tried to run a search before leaving that post lastnight. Will have another try this morning.

I always use make up that is fair trade and ok for sensitive eyes, but due to lack of vision I can't get it to look how it should.

Today for example I want to do some copper with blue, but doubt I will be able to :(

Lea
xox
May09 Diagnosed with KC, March 2010 after a failed transplant it has left me legally blind a long cane user (since 2010) who is blind in a once sighted world

Lizb
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Spectacles

Postby Lizb » Mon 08 Jun 2009 12:38 pm

I dont wear much makeup as a rule, and if wearing to work i avoid eyeshadows and just go basic foundation, blushers and masacara (if not having a bad day). If my eyes are particularly bad i wont even wear any makeup (including foundation). it is a pain when i have to conitnually use eye drops to stop my eyes drying out as you can guarantee i will miss my eye when i am wearing makeup.

I must admit to sticking to simple eyeshadows when doing my own makeup, must admit I generally stick with Clinique makeup - and they have just started doing an eyeshadow in similar packaging to a lip gloss. I find using them gives an even coverage on each eye and they generally match but dont do anything fancy with them. If i am putting eyeliner on i will put my glasses on (get vision in one eye with glasses) and then put my eyeliner on from the bottom.

When i got married i did my own makeup, with my sister doing my eyeshadows as i wanted something a bit more special obviously.
Life is too short for drama & petty things!
So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

I´m not strange, I´m just not normal

Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad is a full minute of happiness you never get back

space_cadet
Champion
Champion

Postby space_cadet » Mon 08 Jun 2009 4:27 pm

Ben (my fiance) often offers to do my make up for me (I have always lacked the abilityto use blusher properly, so tend to stick to eye make up most of thetime)

Sat here in mascara I managed to get on at about 11am, which Ben has just noticed has stuck together (doh! silly my eyes not realising)

Lea
xox

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Mon 08 Jun 2009 5:09 pm

In your place I'd let Ben help: I'm sure that would be a really loving thing that he could do for you.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Lizb
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby Lizb » Mon 08 Jun 2009 5:29 pm

let him help you with your makeup. also take him along with you to a make up counter and him watch the make up technicians try different looks on you and he can see how it is applied. Clinique (for example) do make up trials at their counters, though go when it is quiet not when it is busy.

Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad is a full minute of happiness you never get back

space_cadet
Champion
Champion

Postby space_cadet » Mon 08 Jun 2009 6:00 pm

I let him, which is why I tend to be able to leave the house with make up on. Just feel crud having to ask for help with anything, I am a stuborn person who hates asking for things for herself. He doesn't mind coming shopping for things with me, buys me awesome stuff such as this dress (goes to find you all a photo .. found, my eyes are bright red cos my friend who took it didn't de-red-eye anyone in picturures he took (the 2 dudes I am with are good friends from uni, photo was taken last month at the LEEDS LGBTQ Students Summer Ball) yes I have bright neon pink tights on, not your eyesight if you are wondering why I had bright tights on, cos I am 'special' and like fun tights, so own numerous pairs of random colored tights. I checked with both friends and neither have a problem with me posting the picture.

Lea
xox
ps the make up I had on earlier is now down my face due to crying - Grr! x

Loopy-Lou
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Loopy-Lou » Mon 08 Jun 2009 6:29 pm

Hey I'm a make-up girl! :D Wouldn't be seen dead without it! Don't care if anyone thinks I'm a sad git because spending 10 minutes once in a day doing something which makes me feel better seems pretty tame compared to the plastic surgery procedures people are prepared to pay for.

Here are my make-up experiences and recommendations;

I've worn make-up for 30 years, as long as I've been diagnosed with KC and have never once had an eye infection. I've had 2 transplants and wear RGP's.

I follow a few simple rules - wash my hands and never put eye pencil on the inside rim of the eyes as this is not skin, it's a mucous membrane.
Always be careful with sharpening eye pencils - make sure there are no little bits of wood sticking out.
I have good make-up brushes [MAC, Bobby Brown and Cosmopolitan - they are bargains] and I wash them with baby shampoo once a month to keep them clean.
I never share make-up or brushes.

I always remove eye make-up at night using the appropriate remover and here's my technique - I use Johnstone's cotton buds and cotton pads. I soak a couple of buds and a pad in the remover, and another pad in plain water. I gently place the pad soaked in remover against the lashes, then rest the lashes against my index finger and 'roll' the bud along the lashes. This means I don't rub my eyes. After I've removed the make-up, I wipe over with the the other pad, then flush out the eyes with Hypromellose to ensure there is no residue of the remover.

If you can't see with a normal magnified mirror, try the extra strength magnification, you can get them 10 times stronger and some you can even stick against the wall with a sucker thingy.

Failing that, take up the offers of assistance!

I've tried all kinds of make-up from really cheap to expensive brands and some of this is just personal preference but in my experience the eyeshadows I find which don't flake as much as others are MAC, Bobby Brown and Sue Devitt. As for eye pencils, I find MAC the easiest to apply and remove, they also do waterproof versions.
Waterproof mascara's are a must for lens wearers really, in my experience the best one I've used is 'Amplicils' by Lancome [and their remover is good too]. When I've used drops or had a full blown lens 'wobbly' it doesn't run. I look for mascara's which are ophthalmologist tested and change them every 2 months.

Lizb
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby Lizb » Mon 08 Jun 2009 6:50 pm

I use the clinique mascara that only comes off with warm water, all i do to take it off is get a warm facecloth and leave it over my eyes for a few minutes and then all my eye make up has come off (the mascara doesnt run when i get watery eyes). I have yet to find a makeup remover that doesnt make my skin/eyes sting so i dont use them. I just wipe off with a warm facecloth then followed by my usual face wash.

Must admit to loving the clinique range (though one of their normal mascaras make my eyes sting) and i dont have any problems wih it. i also use the clinque brushes.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”