Aquasphere Prescription Goggles

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Matthew_
Champion
Champion
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Aquasphere Prescription Goggles

Postby Matthew_ » Fri 08 May 2009 4:02 pm

Hi Everyone,
First of all, sorry for my long absence, my job in the Navy takes me away for long periods. But I'm back in sunny Scotland for the forseeable :D
The reason for me posting is that I recently ordered some prescription goggles from AquaSphere. As someone who likes to swim and often takes his son swimming, I found my dependence on glasses a real disadvantage. I wear a kerasoft lens in the right eye plus glasses, so I need to keep the lens protected and am also pretty acutely myopic without my glasses. Fortunately I no longer have any astigmatism so I was able to order the goggles for about £13 and the optics at £6 each. Both are -6 so they go to quite a high power. I have to say they are absolutely brilliant. My vision is every bit as good as with my glasses and after a half-hour swim, no fog and no water on the inside. Plus they are really comfortable with a sensible head-strap arrangement, the same as diver's face masks. I would recommend these to anyone dependent on glasses. :D

Get a life...get a dog!

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Re: Aquasphere Prescription Goggles

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sat 09 May 2009 11:08 am

Matthew

Welcome back to Scotland and to the forum. it is good to know that you are back to enjoying the murky deep!

I was thinking of you when I stood on the wind blasted quay at Fairlie launching another submersible.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Matthew_
Champion
Champion

Postby Matthew_ » Mon 11 May 2009 6:28 pm

Thanks! You get the good jobs!

Get a life...get a dog!

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Tue 12 May 2009 6:18 am

:D It was a great priviledge, but very windy. The crane couldn't operate, so the submersible sat on the quay. Fisher Rumick had built the surface ship in Singapore, and some of their engineers were going out to commission the mo-ship and submersible.

Have you read Rodger Champan's book?

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Matthew_
Champion
Champion

Postby Matthew_ » Tue 12 May 2009 3:30 pm

Sounds great. Not heard of that book. Roger Chapman or Champan?

Get a life...get a dog!

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 13 May 2009 6:34 am

:oops: Chapman!

He was one of the two men called rodger that got stuck on the bottom of the ocean in their little submersible. The book is called 'no time on our side'; it is an account of how his eyesight let him down when he was a navigator on one of Her Majesty's Submarines (the sight bit sounded familiar when we met).

He went into commercial submersibles, checking the ocean bed as transcontinental communications cables were being laid. On one of his dives he got well and truly stuck at the bottom of the deep ocean, and was therefore part of one of th first deep sea rescues. he founded Rumick (now James Fisher Defence), and began the whole DSRV programme.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Matthew_
Champion
Champion

Postby Matthew_ » Wed 13 May 2009 5:40 pm

That's very interesting! I'll take a look. I used to navigate submarines too!

Get a life...get a dog!

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 13 May 2009 6:05 pm

RC was at the 'turn' in the Holy Loch and was standing on the Conning Tower along with the Captain. The Captain noticed that he was wearing his prescription sunglasses on a dull day, and made light of it, quipping that RC was in no danger of being recognized and mobbed by adoring fans as he navigated the last part of the voyage.

A little abashed, RC admitted he had problems with his eyes, and that photophobia was a feature of his condition. His Captain told him to go directly to an optometrist on going ashore; he did and ended up leaving the Navy and going into the operation of commercial submersibles. He got stuck in a two-man sub and ... ... ... well I'll leave the book for you to read.

We couldn't find it in any bookstore, but you may be able to pick up a second hand copy on Amazon, or I do know that they have it in Strathclyde University Library.

All the best

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Return to “General Discussion Forum”