Re-doing of a corneal graft?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

ettieelliott
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Re-doing of a corneal graft?

Postby ettieelliott » Tue 14 Oct 2008 12:35 pm

I had a corneal graft done about 18 years ago-now 33- which medically is considered a success in the sense that it 'took' but I have never seen out of it and even with a spectacle lens it has never worked. I am in the process of trying to deal with sclerals..(another topic) has anyone ever heard of anyone having a graft re-done years later- to better the chances of having a better type of lens fitted. Might sound a bit odd but I would have another graft done if it meant I could have another option to sclerals
Thanks

Esther

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Re-doing of a corneal graft?

Postby GarethB » Tue 14 Oct 2008 6:48 pm

Since being part of this group I have heard of several cases of regrafts, usually with tissue typing second or third time round to try and reduce rejection risk.

As you are aware the idea is to provide a corneal surface easier to correct but there are no guarentees.

You mention spectacles and sclerals, what other lenses have you tried?

Sorry unable to help further.
Gareth

nicola jayne
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby nicola jayne » Wed 15 Oct 2008 10:11 am

Hiya
I had my first graft done 17 months agoim 28 now, and the same as you classed as a success despite various rejection episodes.
and like you I have never been able to see out of it. there is so much scarring on the cornea and the surface is so ridged, that they cant correct the vision.
im having it re grafted next year ( next year is my choice so i can build up some sick leave lol ).
I do not wear contacts ( long story to do with my tourettes) i survive with just my glasses so i cant help with any advice on contacts.

anyway
hope some of this helped.
nicola

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby rosemary johnson » Wed 15 Oct 2008 8:10 pm

Esther,
I think you need to be aware, if you aren't already, that the more transplants you have, the more the risks increase - of rejection, or graft failure. In the medical sense, rather than ending with poor vision and a clear transplant.
The tests and amtching are more intense, the anti-rejection drugs get more and stronger, up to the heavy-duty immunosuppresants.
I have heard of people having regrafts - but all those I've heard of have been because the graft has failed medically, not just because of poor corrected (or uncorrected) vision.
I do hope that the sclerals can be made to work for you and you get some reasonable vision without having to think of more surgery.
Rosemary

Return to “General Discussion Forum”