Back in Glasses - Hoorah!

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Matthew_
Champion
Champion
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Back in Glasses - Hoorah!

Postby Matthew_ » Fri 03 Oct 2008 11:17 am

Hi,
I had a corneal graft nearly a year ago on my left eye as it was about 3/60 uncorrected and lenses were intolerable. The right eye has always been a bit better both for VA and tolerability of lenses.
Anyhow, I have depended totally on the right eye over the last 11 months which means pushing the limits of lens wear a fair bit because I my sight is poor without. I really don't like lenses so I was delighted when I found out yesterday that my left eye has stabilised enough to be corected with glasses. I am happy because not only can my left eye now join the programme giving the right a bit of a break, I can also function with the glasses and no lenses in the right---bliss!
My prescription is

Sph -7.00 Cyl +1.25 Axis 175

The astigmatism I had post graft has stabilised considerably, (I think it was 2.50 or something). With 10 stitches still to come out, it is looking hopeful!

I will be getting a a plain lens on the right eye and continue using a lens on that eye, which means I will have one big eye and one normal eye when I am wearing the glasses! :lol:

Get a life...get a dog!

tneedham
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Re: Back in Glasses - Hoorah!

Postby tneedham » Fri 03 Oct 2008 12:21 pm

Dude. That is awesome news.
I have surgery in 1 week, been coping with 1 eye for the last 6 months, i know what its like.

Nice one.

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Fri 03 Oct 2008 12:30 pm

Can we start calling you Buddy or Harry Potter? :twisted:

Excellent news.

Brings back happy memories when I was in glasses post graft nearly 20 yeasr ago :D
Gareth

anisag83
Vision: On the waiting list for a graft

Postby anisag83 » Fri 03 Oct 2008 1:07 pm

Hi

this is Anisa - first time on this site, and just joined - it is also the first time i am using a forum - ever!!! i am really happy for you! it's good to hear that someone somewhere is receiving good news!

i was supposed to have a graft Sept 11th, but it was cancelled 48 hours before :x ! Now i am waiting and waiting! i took a few months off from work to recover and now i'm just in limbo land!

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sat 04 Oct 2008 3:28 pm

Well done Matthew

You may end up like me, with glasses for one eye and a plain lens over a contact lens for the other.

This is really good news.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

dweezil1968
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby dweezil1968 » Sun 05 Oct 2008 5:57 pm

great news well done, I am coming up to a year post graft, fingers crossed I have good news like you too!

Matthew_
Champion
Champion

Postby Matthew_ » Mon 06 Oct 2008 9:31 am

Got the glasses on Saturday :D Its taking me a while to get used to them. My left eye has had a year off and seems to be reluctant to take the weight, also the -7 power is a bit like looking through a goldfish bowl. When I first put them on, I felt pretty sick. My brain is struggling to get both eyes to come together. I keep getting multiple images which slowly merge into one and its hard to judge distances. Its like being underwater!
But I am using them a bit longer each time, I think my brain will soon get used to the various glasses / lens / no-lens configurations. I have been able to switch the magnification software off my computer today! :D

Get a life...get a dog!

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Mon 06 Oct 2008 10:19 am

Matthew

You clearly know that it will take your brain a bit of time to get used to the new way in which it gets information, and your eye a bit of time to get used to being useful again. These adjustments will be made and you will quickly get used to seeing again from a long disused eye! Well done.

I remember when I first realized that I no longer needed some of the fancy things that my computer could do, and your turning off your magnifier should have been accompanied by some music!

All the best

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Mon 06 Oct 2008 11:53 am

Will you be able tp resume diving in the future?
Gareth

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby rosemary johnson » Mon 06 Oct 2008 6:37 pm

Oh, I get that too! - two overlapping images that slowly swim towards each other, merge for a while then swim apart again.
In y case, it is from looking down my binoculars with the naked grafted eye and the ungrafted eye with its contact lens in. What doesn't help is that the binocs won't adjust enough for differences between the 2 eyes for both to be in best focus at once.....
I have got htem to converge and give me just one image for a while ... until I get tired again. But it took a while and the one-out-of-focus is still confusing.
I can imagine the strange look through -7 specs lens. Do let us know how you get on.
My grafted eye when last measured was -9 in one axis and -14 in the other (the difference being the astigmatism). I'm dreading the suggestion I should try glasses - apart from the problem I can't afford them at present (!), the thought of the dizzying "walking down a cliff" look with my dodgy balance does not appeal.
I remember the world falling away in front feeling with new specs from the days when I had to wear specs as a kid. Oo-er.
DO let us know how you get on. And all the best with them.
Rosemary

Return to “General Discussion Forum”