Stitches Out

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Pascalini
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Re: Stitches Out

Postby Pascalini » Sun 22 Jun 2008 5:21 pm

i had a stitch taken out early on- i never felt a thing, so hopefully the rest will be the same- looks like i'l have these stitches in for a long time now.

I also thought that when i got fitted with a contact lens after my op that i wouls just get a normal one and not them thick ones so that was news to me too.
Steve

Matthew_
Champion
Champion
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Matthew_ » Mon 23 Jun 2008 2:14 pm

HI Steve, I hope you don't mind me asking a question too on your thread. I too am having stitches out on Friday. I am 7 months post graft but unlike you I retain the same va as before the op (1/60). I am kinda hoping that things will improve but I know it still very early days. They didn't replace the whole cornea (that makes it a PK ,right?) so maybe mine is completely different. They did this so I could have the option of going back to diving one day as I am a professional diver. Anyhow, I am sure the consultant said he would take 3 out but I always thought they would take an even number out? I think every case is different :?:

Get a life...get a dog!

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Mon 23 Jun 2008 3:44 pm

PK they replace the whole cornea
DALK they replace the cornea without the endothelium.

I think that the received wisdom is that it takes longer to recover good sight after a DALK than a PK, but that DALKs heal faster and have a much lower risk of rejection.

All the best on Friday: you'll probably spend a long time sitting about. I quite enjoyed those visits to the theatre; the nosiness in me made the whole experience better than a white knuckle ride at alton towers! The music they listen to in the theatre is a bit cheesy.

Good to see you again, Matthew. How are you? I am looking at the Gaerloch just now; the weather could not be better nor the air clearer!

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby rosemary johnson » Tue 24 Jun 2008 12:20 am

Steve: the advantage of having the "big thick" lenses (ie. sclerals) is that because they can be made to fit well clear of the eye with a large tear reservoir behind the lens, there is more scope for the eye to change shape before you need a new lens (because the re is just a slightly different amount of tears between eye and lens),
That is why I have them - or rather, why I first got a new scleral put in my eye (well, what's left of my eye plus part of someone else's) 3 months to the day post op. (Plus, I'd always worn sclerals and was in no mood to change now.)
Unfortunately, this doesn't mean the power needed on the lens stays constant - but fortunately in my case this THING where my own eye used to be is getting less short sighted - so with new lens I'm now long sighted, and had to rush out to the Asda's and get a pair of their cheapo reading glasses.
"Fortunate" because if I have to spend two-fifty or a fiver on new reading glasses every couple of months, that won't break the bank, and I can just go and get them off the rack, there and then.
Matthew: have you yet been tried out for eyesight correction yet? - that is, the people who put different powered lenses in front of your eyes and say "Better with or without?" - "Better fir the first or the second?"
A graft won't nevvessarily give you good vision unaided; the idea is to make it easier to correct the vision.
If not.... and if this is any comfort...... I can't read the top letter on a Snellen chart with the grafted eye unaided, but came up nearly 6/5 when I first had the new lens for it in.
The drawback of the above is eye changed between being fitting for the lens and getting it - largely down to the time it took me to steal myself to pay for the bloody thing - and my arms are now too short!!
Rosemary

melissa
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby melissa » Tue 24 Jun 2008 10:30 am

I am 20 weeks post graft today... and have been told the same as Steve. My doctor says my vision is so good that he will not touch any of my stitches unless they work themselves loose. I have had 2 of the individual stiches removed because they worked loose, but the other 2 and the running stitch are still there. My Optalmologist says they will eventually (2/3 years) disintegrate, and some pieces may need to be pulled out- but nothing to worry about...
For me it is quite a relief as the second stich i had removed was a little traumatising (the knot got stuck)... it wasn't painful- but a bit stressful.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”