sensitivity to flashing lights

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

melissa
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

sensitivity to flashing lights

Postby melissa » Tue 17 Jun 2008 8:44 am

I have noticed that since my graft i have a real aversion to flashing lights. my eyes are not particularly light sensitive, but things like shadows of trees on the road REALLY bother me. i start to feel nauseous and dizzy. I really don't like it....
Does anyone else experience this? Is there a reason why this would happen after a graft?

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Re: sensitivity to flashing lights

Postby Andrew MacLean » Tue 17 Jun 2008 10:11 am

Melissa

I also find flashing lights cause nausea and headaches but I think that this is because they begin to trigger a Migraine and I wonder if this could be the immediate cause of your current problems, rather than the graft itself?

While I love driving on rural roads in France, the avenues of poplar trees and bright sunshine can set off a reaction in me that leaves me unable to drive! I do find that good sunglasses help as they seem to 'iron out' the stroboscopic effect of the light-and-shadow progression of the drive.

All the best

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

melissa
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby melissa » Tue 17 Jun 2008 2:04 pm

Maybe you are right. I have never suffered from Migraines, but have been under a lot of stress at work and in my personal life, so I suppose my brain may be struggling to cope. had some pretty nasty headaches too- but not migraines...
I mentioned it to my doctor this afternoon and he said that any surgery on your eye will cause it to be slower to react, which would also add to the disorientation. ??

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby rosemary johnson » Tue 17 Jun 2008 6:03 pm

Hi Melissa,
I've always been hypersensitive to flashing lights, particular camera flash guns which are excruciatingly painful.
SInce my graft, the grafted eye seems more sensitive than ever to direct bright lights - it is as if now the "picture" is less fuzzy, the brightness and hence the pain are just focussed more intensely.
I think the reason flashes are so bad is that they are sudden and you don't gt chance to adjust. That is, I can cope with bright light (within reason!! = midday in Durban in January is a bit much!!) given time to adjust and suitable dark glasses, hats, etc.
But a sudden flash gives one no time to adjust - and nor does driving (or riding) through dappled shade such as past a row of trees.
I've been warned that I'm likely to be simply more light sensitive soon after an op - though I doubt if that is all.
Why would a post-graft eye take longre to adjust? - is this permanent??
Rosemary

Alison Fisher
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby Alison Fisher » Wed 18 Jun 2008 3:55 pm

Camera flashes are very painful for me too. :( They have ruined many a social occasion for me. :( It's yet another thing I find that non-KCers don't get and I often end up feeling like they don't believe me. :(

Driving down a dappled lane is a nightmare. I don't drive, but if I find myself in that situation I sit there with my eyes closed. I also know which side of the bus to sit so I'm out of the sun depending on the time of day. To make me sound extra sad I also know exactly where the sun will catch the side of the bus I'm sitting on and close my eyes in anticipation. :oops:

What I find the problem is going from one level of light to another. If you stick me out in the sun I will adjust. If you stick me in a darkened room I'm fine. When I'm not fine is when I'm moving from one to the other. It takes me ages to adjust. Sometimes I don't at all and end up with a killer headache. I have no idea why this should be. I have asked my doctors about it many a time and never got a clear answer, but I guess as this is how things have been for me for more years than I care to remember it's pretty much permanent. :(

I minimise the impact by planning ahead (as much as is feasible), never being without a hat (sometimes indoors as well as out) and my prescription sunglasses. Oh, and a good dose of 'the glass being half full' attitude to it all. :D
grafts in 1992 and 1996

Return to “General Discussion Forum”