Don't use Google!

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

John Smith
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Don't use Google!

Postby John Smith » Sun 02 Sep 2007 1:39 pm

OK, you can use Google if you really want to... but if you're prepared to "make do" with results from Yahoo!, you can use the new KC search engine.

easysearch is the new charity search engine where you can raise funds for the group, simply by surfing the web!

Powered by Image the world's 2nd largest search provider, easysearch works just like Google giving you fast, accurate search results every time you search online. But unlike Google, easysearch gives us something back!

When you search using easysearch your cause will receive about a penny for every search you make. It doesn't sound like much, but the pennies soon mount up and a keen searcher can raise £25.00 a year - or more - just through their normal online searching!

easysearch is completely free for you to use, so this is a great way to support us - just by surfing the web as you do already!

Just visit http://ukkeratoconus.easysearch.org.uk/ and remember to add it to your bookmarks!

Many thanks,

John
John

cherishu2
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Re: Don't use Google!

Postby cherishu2 » Mon 15 Oct 2007 12:22 pm

just to let you know i have contacted friends etc and one works for a company with puters and they are all changing to this engine so hopefully a few pennies coming in.
mum to 7. Its a long story lol. cornea graft oct 19 2007.
Son with KC too
registerd blind 17th May 2007

John Smith

Postby John Smith » Mon 15 Oct 2007 5:48 pm

OOooh, thanks very much. We are currently making about £1 per week from the search engine. Hopefully your friend's company will swell our coffers!

Thanks again.
John

Pat Chinnery
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Pat Chinnery » Wed 16 Jan 2008 6:53 pm

Hi All
I have just managed to get my company to make this our default search engine, we must have over a 100 PC's connected to the internet. Lets see if we make much out of this!
Pat

John Smith

Postby John Smith » Sun 20 Jan 2008 8:18 pm

Thanks, Pat.

The last company to do this raised our search income from about £1 to £3 per week. It's slowly gone back to £1 per week now. Let's hope your firm swells the coffers again.
John

dweezil1968
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby dweezil1968 » Tue 29 Jan 2008 10:31 pm

hi- don't use Google? 85% of global search is via google- Yahoo has about 2% therefore anyone who has nobly offered or changed to use Yahoo only will be seriously curtailing their work and personal search activity- to raise £1 a week?
you are better off asking people to donate a £1 a week!
if you search on Yahoo lets say for KC so many options and results will be lost- sorry but I think you are asking too much here
set up a facebook group instead, let the power of social media do some work for you.
not using Google is like asking people not to fart. Its a fact that's all, Google controls too much!!!
any company that has agreed to this is clearly not very web savvy!!

John Smith

Postby John Smith » Wed 30 Jan 2008 12:45 pm

Hi Dweezil, thanks for your comments.

Whilst I agree that Google is used much more often than Yahoo, it is certainly not fair to say that the Google index contains more content than Yahoo's does.

I've been using the easyfundraising search (powered by Yahoo) for a while now, and have not noticed any appreciable drop in my search results. On the occasions that I can't find something I'm looking for using the Yahoo results, I've tried my query on Google too. Each time, I've ALSO failed to find it on Google!

We've not widely publicised the easysearch option yet, which is why we're "only" getting £2.80 a week at the moment. After all, it works out at about 1p per search, so if we ALL used it ALL the time, we'd have a sizable extra income stream :D
John

dweezil1968
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby dweezil1968 » Wed 30 Jan 2008 2:30 pm

Google controls 85% of search- thats a fact, they also offer a very similar search/ fundraising opportunity under AdSense- why not have a look there?
BTW I never mentioned indexing!
you'll find anything unless it has been properly optimised and so on- and that's not down to Google or any serach engine, but its down to the webmaster!
:D

Amarpal
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Amarpal » Fri 28 Mar 2008 5:36 pm

I use easysearch alot more than I used to now - its my homepage for all my browsers, and all my family's computers. It has improved with 'version 2' which now includes results from Windows Live search and Ask.com. It works just as well as Google. In fact, it seems as if I get better quality content from easysearch now - and of course raising money for the group! :mrgreen:
Thoroughly recommend it!
Amarpal

John Smith

Postby John Smith » Mon 31 Mar 2008 11:42 am

Thanks, Amarpal.

Yes, with version 2, easysearch has become a "meta-search" algorithm, as it searches several other engines and returns the amalgamated results.

John
John

Return to “General Discussion Forum”