Office Working and KC

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

sweetieoftwo
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Office Working and KC

Postby sweetieoftwo » Tue 22 Jan 2008 11:02 am

Hi all,

Ok, if you work in an office or similar environment and are able to offer me any pointers as to what makes this easier (or doesn't!) or what support/equipment etc you use then I would love to hear from you. I have KC in both eyes and wear RGP's and have just gone through a long period of non-wear due to infections and then keratitus.

I have a meeting tomorrow(!!) with my boss and HR to discuss my needs when I return next week and therefore any advice on what I should be asking about etc would be really helpful! I know my first need would be to turn the blood* air con off, but this isn't going to happen!!

Thanks a million,

A rather worried sweetieoftwo :-(

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Re: Office Working and KC

Postby Andrew MacLean » Tue 22 Jan 2008 11:39 am

Computer platforms certainly vary. I use an Apple running Mac OSX. This comes with embedded software that allows my computer to read aloud to me, and by tapping a key I can enlarge or reduce the size of text on my screen.

I also have a video magnifier that enables me to have the text of books or documents enlarged and presented on my screen in any colour combination that is comfortable to me. I usually have it set to present the text in yellow on a blue background.

In addition I have started to use a 'humidifier'; this also sits beside my computer and ensures that I am not sitting in an uncomfortably dry micro-environment by blowing gently ionized water vapour into my face. :D

There are loads of other things that people with KC can get, but I find this bundle suits my needs. All the best.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

petedoc
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby petedoc » Tue 22 Jan 2008 12:04 pm

Hey

I work in recruitment so i to have to use a p.c all day(most days 12 hours). I use a 19" monitor with a glare screen over it. I find that my laptop is easier on my eyes, i dont know if you are the same and if it would be worth while mentioning this to your employer. I also find being near a window not just for the fresh air but the natural light helps a lot.

Hope this helps

Pete

John Smith
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby John Smith » Tue 22 Jan 2008 12:21 pm

Hi Emma,

This really is an individual thing, but certainly some of the more common things are:
  • A monitor with a larger screen (I have a 21" one)
  • A flat-screen monitor rather than a CRT. The flatter monitors don't suffer from as much reflection and glare than their antique counterparts.
  • A Humidifier on the desk to counter the air-con. This can make the wearing of contacts more comfortable.
  • Magnifying software for the PC screen
  • A desktop task light (mine has a magnifier built-in, too)
  • Talking / listening software for the PC if you have extended bad-eye periods.
Hope this helps. Give me a call if you need any more info.

John x

nicola jayne
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby nicola jayne » Tue 22 Jan 2008 1:34 pm

Hi sweetieoftwo,
I work In a lab most of the time, but for a couple of hours a day I do work on the pc. To help me when I am on the pc I have a screen magnifier, it sits about 6-8 inches in front of my screen (19 inch flat screen) and you can adjust it closer or further away. I also have a ''special'' keyboard it has large letters and is black with pale yellow letters and numbers . They did get me keyboard stickers but I found they were making me feel quite sick lol as it was as if the letters were moving. Do you use tear's ? I find they help a bit when air con is on, keep a big stash on your desk. There is a programme called zoomtext which might help you aswell. Also just up all your settings to extra large if you can.
I hope some of this might help you :)
kind regards
nicola

Return to “General Discussion Forum”