KC people living in Scotland

Announcements from the Scottish local group

Moderator: Elizabeth Mair

Andrew MacLean
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Re: KC people living in Scotland

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 03 Oct 2007 3:02 pm

One of my favourite walks while I lived in Stirling was up over the Sherrifmuir, over the hill dropping to the A9 just beyone the QV School, back into Dunblane (chips and ciggies from the chipshop), through the Darn Valley back to Bridge of Allan.

Somebody had to discover the principle of piggybacking, so there is no reason to suppose that it was not the dude you see at Stirling RI.

All the best

Andrew

Ar-Pharazon
Vision: Spectacles

Postby Ar-Pharazon » Wed 10 Oct 2007 9:17 pm

Hi there

Colin

Living in Glasgow. Attending Gartnavel whenever XXXXXX can be bothered to get the appointments right. Had this blessed thing in mt left eye for at least three years but I suppose, like many, my astigmatism covered it up.

Have been trying contacts, even though I hate the idea of anything in my eye. Got over myself and get used to hard lenses, only to find out my right eye needs the soft as it has the wrong type of astigmatism.

They haven't been able to get the right lens sorted yet. I suspect that I've dropped off their radar again and will have to chivvy them up

Anyway, hello guys, wish I didn't have to meet you here, but here we are

Colin

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Thu 11 Oct 2007 6:11 am

Colin

Welcome to the forum. If XXXXXX is doing your appointments you must be a patient at the Contact Lens clinic. Which Ophthalmologist do you see?

Andrew

Ar-Pharazon

Postby Ar-Pharazon » Thu 11 Oct 2007 11:10 pm

Not sure if I should post a name, given everything, save to say she is Irish

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Fri 12 Oct 2007 6:22 am

She would be your optometrist. Who is your eye doctor? (ophthalmologist)? I see Dr Ramaest at Gartnavel.

He has spoken to the Scottish group a number of times and has even addressed the national conference.

I am waiting for a referral back to see the excellent Bernie; in the years that I have been a patient there I have been seen by four consultant ophthalmologists (two of the first three retired and the third got a job somewhere else) and several optometrists. Actually I think that the eye department at Gartnavel is extremely well served by both optometrists and ophthalmoloists.

Andrew

Ar-Pharazon

Postby Ar-Pharazon » Fri 12 Oct 2007 2:29 pm

Hi Andrew

Umm, not sure I have one then. I got transferred from the Royal and since then it's been pretty much testing me eyes and trying to fit me for Contacts. No higher level Doctor type supervision. So I probably have one on my documentation, but have no idea who it is.

I saw Bernie last time I was there, but that was purely a fitting, and that wasn't working. Bernie was brought in to confirm that the lens itself was actually knackered.

Colin

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Thu 18 Oct 2007 9:41 am

Next time you go to an optometry appointment, ask whick consultant you are under. Actually the optometrists at Gartnavel can get you a much quicker appointment to see your ophthalmologist than your GP.

Bernie and Angie have both spoken at different times to the Scottish Group.

All the best

Andrew

lakshmirk
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Postby lakshmirk » Sun 25 Nov 2007 5:20 pm

Hello. I recently moved to Livingston from the United States. I have keratoconus, and I have an intacs implant in my right eye. I need to get contact lenses and my GP recommended that I go to Boots or Specsavers or some place like that in Livingston. I wear soft contact lenses on both eyes, and it usually takes a lot of follow up visits to get the right prescription, especially with a "regular" optometrist. I would prefer to go to someone who has some expertise in keratoconus or hard-to-fit lenses because they usually have a larger range of lenses to try out. Do you have any recommendations? Or do you think that Boots or Specsavers is a good place to start out?

If you prefer to e-mail me directly, my e-mail is lakshmirk@rocketmail.com

Thanks,
Lakshmi

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sun 25 Nov 2007 5:32 pm

Welcome to the forum, and to Scotland!

There are a couple of optometrists in Edinburgh who have a great deal of experience of fitting KC eyes.

The hospital in Edinburgh refer contact lens patients to a high street optometrist, and the man who used to look after my contact lens needs at the Glasgow Eye Hospital is now in private practice in Edinburgh. Why not seek a referral to the Edinburgh eye hospital for your ophthalmological services and seek a contact referral from there?

All the best

Andrew

lakshmirk
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Postby lakshmirk » Sun 25 Nov 2007 5:53 pm

Thanks Andrew. I will see if my GP will give me a referral. I would not be able to contact the eye hospital directly for information about optometrists? Just wondering since I am new to the NHS system.

Thanks.

Return to “Scottish Local Group”