just saying hi

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Becky Symmonds
Contributor
Contributor

just saying hi

Postby Becky Symmonds » Wed 13 Jun 2007 11:32 am

Hello friends (since that is what i consider you all even though ive never met you). My sister helensy has been kindly posting on my behalf :D . My name is Becky, 31, if you want the statistics. I got diagnosed with Keratoconus in 2001 and had hydrops then to. I have been stable for 6 years without any type of lenses. The excellent vision in my left eye does a wonderful job at compensating for very blurry in the right. Got told couldn't wear any types of lenses as my eyes are very dry and extremely sensitive. The last two weeks have been a whirlwind of emotions before being told it was acute hydrops in my right eye which has the KC.I was sent to emergency opthalmology department on the 30th may and told to put saline drops and mydrilate drops in. I then saw the consultant on the 7th june who confirmed acute hydrops.Got very gd pair of sunglasses, getting better at light tolerance, feeling in major pain a lot of the time and nauseaus.Also on homeopathic tincture which tastes vile but hoping it helps 8) I have been off work for 12 days. Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions on anything else that would help please. Im really trying to sit and ride this out dont remember how long it lasted last time. feeling exhausted and frightened. Thanks to gareth and andrew. Becky [/list]

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Wed 13 Jun 2007 11:40 am

Hi Becky,

I think we will all tell you to take it easy and let your eye heal properly.

Never had hydrops, but I do remember when KC kept me from work for 3 months!

With the help of this group, i turned things around, got talking books from the library. Any eye disocomfort was counterd by ibuprofen.

Then I tried doing things that I thought I could only do with good vision. Without lenses I ma legally blind in the right eye and partially sighted in the left. While off work, I redesigned my whole garden, built a patio, stripped down and repainted the rear arches or my classic car and replaced the exhaust system. Stripped and repainted the rea between the grill and radiator of my my classic car. Quite proud of what I did and now I have lenses again, there are many things I actually find easier to do with reduced vision.

Oh and I taught my daughter to bake too.

Take it easy, but have the confidence to try things you used to do before hydrops. Start with the easy and then it becomes easier to adapt to the more challenging things.
Gareth

helensy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby helensy » Wed 13 Jun 2007 12:13 pm

There you are!! Glad you've found your way on here at last. :D

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 13 Jun 2007 5:30 pm

Hello Becky 31! Good to meet you.

Dry eyes are bad enough. Dry eyes with KC makes a much worse cocktail. Dry eyes, KC and hydrops and you have the full set, and along with it my sincerest sympathy.

Gareth is right about taking time while your eye heals. Depending on your hydrops, it may be that your ophthalmologist will suggest that you proceed to a graft. Meantime, don't let KC get you down.

All the best

Andrew

ps helensy, don't stop visiting us now that Becky has found her way here!
Andrew MacLean

mike scott
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and good vision

Postby mike scott » Wed 13 Jun 2007 6:42 pm

Hi Becky

welcome to the forum.

I cant comment on your hydrops as i havent had it and hopefully wont, keep your chin up and dont let KC rule your life, be proud of all your acheivements whatever they are, because with what we have everything is an accomplishment.

take care and best wishes

mike
onwards and upwards

Sweet
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Sweet » Sat 16 Jun 2007 9:23 am

Becky

Hello there and welcome to the forum! Sorry that I can't really add a lot here as I haven't had hydrops. Just wanted to say to take it easy and use the eye drops as directed and hoping it clears up soon.

Hope to hear from you soon! Thanks to your sister Helensy for getting you here!!! :P
Sweet X x X

Return to “General Discussion Forum”