Max wear time?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Matthew_
Champion
Champion
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Matthew_ » Mon 11 Jun 2007 9:34 am

I think if the lenses are comfy, this is a good sign. Clearly, wearing lenses for long periods despite them being uncomfortable is being reckless, when as Steven says, we do not know all the facts. On the other hand it can be so difficult to work or do everyday things without them. I think balance is in the eye of the beholder!

Get a life...get a dog!

donna
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby donna » Mon 11 Jun 2007 10:41 am

I have decided to wear them when I need them most, for example yesterday morning I was not going out so didnt put them in until lunch time, today i was going out first thing so put them in when I got up. If I have a day where I wear them for 10 hours then the next day I will only wear them when I absolutely have to.
i think its about being sensible really, there is a temptation to wear them all day everyday because my vision is excellent with them and its nice to go out and about then wear them in the evening and see the tv clearly but I think its a good idea to rest my eyes sometimes. i do feel lucky that they are such a good fit and are very comfy to wear plus I get really good vision.

Louise Pembroke
Champion
Champion

Postby Louise Pembroke » Mon 11 Jun 2007 10:48 am

yes I wear mine all day every day, unless there's a problem and I have to remove it. I know some people give themselves lens-free days but I would find that so difficult because without it I couldn't use the computer, read/write/watch tv/see labels shopping/tube and bus indicators, I feel useless and it depresses me
Director of Sci-Fi and Silliness and FRCC [Fellow of the Royal College of Cake]

donna
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby donna » Mon 11 Jun 2007 10:54 am

I feel useless and it depresses me.......thats exactly how I feel when I remove my lenses. I hate it.

Eddie S
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Postby Eddie S » Mon 11 Jun 2007 11:40 am

I put my lenses in daily at 7:30am and take them out between 10:00 and 12:00pm, so i'm well over my 12 hours daily.

However, my eyes are comfortable and I only really suffer bad eyes if I've really stretched my day with a lot of concentration (e.g a lot of driving).

I'm honest with my opticians and they seem ok about it - I think just as people suffer differently witht dry eyes, they suffer differently with lenses. I think a lot has to do with how well your eyes get on with a particular set of lenses (for example, I wouldnt be able to wear sclerals for as long, or standard RGPs)

Hope this helps.

Ed
Eddie
Somebody complimented me on my driving yesterday - they left a note on my windscreen "Parking Fine" which was nice.
KC managed with softperm lens in left eye, Intacs (2/11/07) in right eye

girlypants
Contributor
Contributor

Postby girlypants » Mon 11 Jun 2007 11:42 am

Hi I wear sclearals and get about 15 hours wear a day. Basically I put them in when I get up and take them out when I go to bed. I cant operate in my day to day life without them so I wear them probably a lot more than I should. I also suffer with GPC, probably due to the extended wearing time.

Its a hard call to make, I have to go to work, look after my family and home and without my lenses in I cant do that. Most of the time my eyes are sore so I would say take lens breaks and limit wearing time if you can. Sometimes thats not realistic in real life though.

Louise Pembroke
Champion
Champion

Postby Louise Pembroke » Mon 11 Jun 2007 12:02 pm

this thread raises really important issues such as balancing different needs
Director of Sci-Fi and Silliness and FRCC [Fellow of the Royal College of Cake]

mike scott
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and good vision

Postby mike scott » Mon 11 Jun 2007 4:34 pm

i only use my right eye now as my left is totally lens intolerant but i see 16 hrs wear time as normal.

have worn rgp's for 23 yrs now.

without the lenses in my vision is almost nothing, so to wear them for just an 8 hour shift for work and then have no life beyond that , well that would be really un fair wouldnt it?

mike
onwards and upwards

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Mon 11 Jun 2007 5:57 pm

Donna,

If you make the driving standard with one lens and have good perifferal vision you should be OK to drive. It does take practice as your depth perception is affected so you have to pick up on other visual ques as to how far things are from you. Tiering at first just like when you first learnt to drive, but then becomes second nature.

I was worried at first, so I went back to the Institute Advanced Motorists and had my driving reassed and even re did my Advanced Test and past gain with just the one eye.

Must say I am of the school that beleives lenses have no impact on KC progression and that is based on my personal experience. I went 20 years without any contact lenses post graft even though my vision was slowly getting worse and KC came back. I have now had my lenses for 3 years and the KC is perfectly satble.

Just goes to show our experiences are all different so it is hard for peopel in your situation as reading our stories sometimes means you see contradictions.

Neither is wrong and both perfectly valid.
Gareth

donna
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby donna » Mon 11 Jun 2007 6:35 pm

Thanks for the replies.......I do love this site :D
I am glad its not just me that thinks we should be able to have vision outside of work! It was a depressing thought that I would be able to see to work and that would be it, someone at work said to me that it was better than nothing :oops: I wont post my reply lol
As long as my eyes feel ok then I am leaving them in, must say that I am enjoying my new extended wear time , I never want a cold again, 4 hours wear time is not enough!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”