What to ask - next Hospital Appt

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Pat A
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC
Vision: Contact lenses

What to ask - next Hospital Appt

Postby Pat A » Wed 23 May 2007 3:17 pm

It has just dawned on me that I'm back to Moorfields next week (where on earth has this year gone so far!) for my 6 month visit to the consultant - (as well as the contact lens clinic when I hope they are going to try and fit my right eye with a lens too.)

As the last (and first) time I went to see the consultant (well, not that I actually saw him!) , I didn't have a clue what the problem was (just had the symptoms) and left the hospital after some 5 hours somewhat shell-shocked with no real idea what having Keratoconus meant - certainly didn't know how to spell it - I asked almost nothing! I have gained a lot of knowledge since from this site - thanks to all of you - but now find I am not really sure what I should be asking when I go next week. Any thoughts? I don't really know how bad it is, what shape/where my "cones" are - or do I have "droopy boobs"! (Don't attempt to answer that one :lol: :lol: :lol: ) So presumably I really ought to ask about that - but what else?

And another rather stupid question which hopefully someone can help me with :oops: - should I turn up with my lenses in or not?

Any ideas gratefully received!
Pat

We do not stop playing because we grow old;
We grow old because we stop playing.

Michael P
Champion
Champion
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC

Postby Michael P » Wed 23 May 2007 4:17 pm

Pat, I am very much like you. 30 years going to Moorfields and everything I now know has been learned from this wonderful Group.

I always go with my lenses in and I have never been told not to wear them before an appointment.

From my experience, If you are fitted with comfortable lenses which give you decent vision then no questions are needed. Just be pleased :!: :)

donna
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby donna » Wed 23 May 2007 8:02 pm

What Michael said :D
Good luck! I am back in 3months to check the progression in my right eye

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Wed 23 May 2007 9:10 pm

The letter I get confirming my appointmnet time and date always states if I need lenses in or out.

If it is a contact lens clinic, it is always lenses in.
Gareth

Elizabeth R
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Elizabeth R » Wed 23 May 2007 11:00 pm

I put my lens in befor an appointment. if i have a problems with len.when i dont wear it.i like them see them in.so they no i have problems :roll: :cry: :lol: :shock:

Lynn White
Optometrist
Optometrist

Postby Lynn White » Thu 24 May 2007 9:32 pm

Pat...

Always lenses IN! No-one can assess lenses if they are out. And they need to have been in a few hours to give a really accurate idea of how your eyes are reacting to them.

As to what to ask...actually this depends on what you want to know. I know that sounds daft.. but some people want the whole nine yards and others are content with just knowing they are OK.

You decide what YOU want to know. Then write it down so that if you get lost for words you can just push the list of questions into the person's hands.

You have listened to people on here.. now just decide what is bothering you most and ask about it!

Lynn

mike scott
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and good vision

Postby mike scott » Thu 24 May 2007 9:45 pm

Hi pat

Perfect advice from Lynn

write down any questions you have as they occur to you and write down the answers that you recieve.

From my experience i find that the consultants are only too pleased to explain things to you , even more so when they realise that you are taking an active interest in your own treatment, so dont feel that you are annoying them , after all you are both interested in the same thing, the best care and solutions for YOU.

best wishes and good luck with your appointment.

mike
onwards and upwards

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Fri 25 May 2007 7:31 am

I've found that by showing an interest in your condistion the staff helping you get quite excited and enthusiatstic about what they are doing :D

It is as if they start to feel appreciated and not taken for granted.
Gareth

Return to “General Discussion Forum”