Driving and glare

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

JoeK
Contributor
Contributor

Driving and glare

Postby JoeK » Wed 23 May 2007 8:52 am

Is it just me, or is the glare from the sun more intense this year. is anyone else expriencing similar particularly whilst driving. i'm finding driving to and from work these days increasingly more uncomfortable

nicola jayne
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby nicola jayne » Wed 23 May 2007 10:16 am

hiya Joek
i am not legal to drive at the moment but even walking about with my sunglasses on is starting to be a problem !! lol, so i would yes even though not driving its still a problem for me and if i was driving i would assume a hell of a problem.... errm not really a help but there is my ten pence worth lol..
take care
nicola

Eddie S
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Postby Eddie S » Wed 23 May 2007 11:11 am

Hi Joe,

Yep, definitely.

Having said that though, for a few years now I have always had a pair of shades in the car. If the sun is out, invariably I am wearing them.

I've found the best type are the wrap round style (or at least, ones with thick arms) that stop the glare when you're at right angles to the sun. Also, if you can afford them (my better half treated me!) I've found shades with a polarizing filter are worth the extra.

Hope this helps.

Ed
Eddie
Somebody complimented me on my driving yesterday - they left a note on my windscreen "Parking Fine" which was nice.
KC managed with softperm lens in left eye, Intacs (2/11/07) in right eye

Matthew_
Champion
Champion
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Matthew_ » Wed 23 May 2007 11:49 am

Yuh, I have a lot of problems this summer with light sensitivity, particularly on the road and on the water (where I work). This is my first year with lenses so I am unable to compare previous summers.
I am looking at investing in a good pair of glasses. I spoke to an optician about this who suggested polarised lenses. He also told me that Oakley were a good bet here because they apply the photo-chromatic treatment throughout the lens rather than just on the back. They are pretty expensive, but the lenses in a simple plastic frame are around £50. After that you are paying for frame quality really, the lenses perform roughly the same. But a good set of lenses in a quality frame can cost up to £200. I saw some other glasses from North Face, which are designed for outdoor use (expedition range). They looked pretty good; they were called 'summit'. Again very steep, £150! I am coming to the conclusion however, that the expense is justified.

Get a life...get a dog!

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Wed 23 May 2007 12:24 pm

In addition to what Eddie has said, I found sunglasses from a highstreet optician better than off the shelf at the chemists of super market.

OK they cost a little more, but I could try the different tints outside and get the best one for me. Mine have an anti glare surface coating too.

When glare was a problem for me when driving, even with the sunglasses on I found it was due to the greese and fine dust that collects on the inside of the windscreen. Give the inside a good clean with a proper automotive glass cleaner such as Autuglym Glass cleaner.

Never use ordinary window cleaner you use on your house windows as it damages the laminate.

You will be surprised at the amount of crud that comes off, so do not be surprised at having to cleqan the window two or three times may be more. I have found regularly claning the windows inside and out reduces the glare.

You can get very light window tints which are illegal, but if you can find a screen tinter to do it for you you may have to sign the receipt absolving them of any responsibility should you get pulled by the police for having a screen tint.

Manufacturers tinted windows are OK, I find Renault tinted windows great for keeping glare down.
Gareth

JoeK
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeK » Wed 23 May 2007 1:49 pm

thanks for your reply guys. i wear a pair of oakley sunglasses practically all day including indoors at work.

i think i will try and use Autuglym Glass cleaner as per gareths advice see if that makes a difference.

whilst glare has always been there i just feel this year is particularly more intense which i'm hoping is not down to deterioration in my KC.

I do work overseas quite alot and dont experience the glare there that i am feeling at the moment

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sat 26 May 2007 10:40 am

Joe

The unusually sunny spring ahs had another effect on me. I wear a very nice broad brimmed hat to shield my eyes from the sun. I NEVER go out without it, but am sometimes a bit careless about light excluders because with my hat I manage to persuade myself that I have no need of additional protection.

Walking towards the low but strong sun, with my had shielding my eye I manage to get sunburn on my lower eyelid. In case you want to try to find out what this is like, let me save you the bother: it is very sore!

Still, artificial tears stored in the fridge offer wonderful, if only temporary, relief!

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Return to “General Discussion Forum”