View

This is the place where forum members can chat about anything they want - sport, hobbies etc. Anything except Keratoconus issues.

Moderator: John Smith

Andrew MacLean
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

View

Postby Andrew MacLean » Tue 15 May 2007 6:25 am

Sometimes I wish I had thought of buying a camera. Actually I have often thought of buying a camera, but not when I have been near a camera shop.

Here from my telephone is the view across the river this morning. the cloud lying along the line of the glen on the other side allows you to see Ben Lomond standing high above the rest of the landscape.

Or, rather it would, if I had a proper camera ... note to self, 'think about buying a camera next time you are near a camera shop'.

and here is (more or less) the same view taken two hours later ...

Andrew MacLean

Eddie S
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Postby Eddie S » Tue 15 May 2007 8:45 am

Hi Andrew,

I really envy your view!! All I get out of my window is a next doors tree and the houses across the road!!

If you're in the market for a new camera, agood site to look at is http://www.dpreview.com. It lists all the [digital] cameras currently out there and has good in-depth reviews on quite a few.

Go and try a few in a shop though - what would be a comfy camera for me to hold may not be the same for you.

Ed
Eddie
Somebody complimented me on my driving yesterday - they left a note on my windscreen "Parking Fine" which was nice.
KC managed with softperm lens in left eye, Intacs (2/11/07) in right eye

Matthew_
Champion
Champion
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Matthew_ » Tue 15 May 2007 11:21 am

We went for ages without a decent camera. We went on safari in Kenya with a handful of disposable cameras and spent the next 10 years telling friends,"they are lot closer in real life, they are actually elephants not fleas!" The only exception to this is when we were charged by a bull elephant. Even our little disposable frame was filled with elephant head!!We asked our guide why the elephant stuck out his ears when he charged and the guide replied, "to make him look big." :shock: As if we needed any convincing! When our son was born we just didn't want to miss out on capturing those memories so we saved for a decent digital camera. It was well worth it! Here is an image along similar lines to Andrew's, just right a bit and up!

And this is one of those moments we didn't want to miss:

But you can get it just right with a phone camera too, I got lucky with this one of sadly departed dog...

But on balance I think investing in a camera is wise. Some gadgets are just that, they end up collecting dust. But for a material item, a good camera does make sense.

Get a life...get a dog!

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Tue 15 May 2007 1:41 pm

Matthew

There is no doubt that we live in a magnificent part of the country. I am prepared to venture that, whereas you have easier access to interesting walks, I have the better view.

Treasure the photographs you are able to take of your son as he grows up; all too soon he will be off to university, or bringing home girlfriends whom he will not want to see the moments that you are now capturing. :D

Andrew

ps, when my sister was working in the equatorial rain forest, she took loads of photographs of forest elephants. They are rather smaller than the plains elephants you would see in Kenya, and are far more bad tempered. The sad thing is that when you take a photograph in the rain forest, it is hard to capture anything other than trees and undergrowth. :D
Andrew MacLean

Matthew_
Champion
Champion

Postby Matthew_ » Tue 15 May 2007 3:54 pm

Andrew. I'll concede that point. I have been up on the roof at Navy Buildings near you and it is a stunning view from there!

Bad tempered elephants, not good! The elephant I described was only a bit grumpy because he was in 'must' at the time. I don't think I would want to be anywhere a group of permamently peeved pachyderms!

Get a life...get a dog!

Louise Pembroke
Champion
Champion

Postby Louise Pembroke » Tue 15 May 2007 4:56 pm

Oh Andrew it looks wonderful. I've always wanted to stay by a Loch one xmas for nice walks.
I'd like to have a camera but I need an idiot proof camera which doesit all for me cos I'm technically challenged. I also wouldn't be able to handle getting the pictures via the PC
Director of Sci-Fi and Silliness and FRCC [Fellow of the Royal College of Cake]

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Tue 15 May 2007 5:54 pm

Any chance resizing some of the pictures lads?

Without my lenses I have to keep scrolling back and forth to see the images!

Yet to get me a widescreen monitor.

Matthew; not easy getting over the loss of a pet, Tess died the Sunday of the May Bank Holiday after she colapsed again. The vets gave us the ashes today but yet to pluck up the courage to take the presentation casket out and put them in an appropriate place.

Tigger is quite lonely at the moment as this is only the third time he has been without a companion.
Gareth

Matthew_
Champion
Champion

Postby Matthew_ » Tue 15 May 2007 7:27 pm

Gareth,
So sorry to hear that. My heart goes out to you. It was truly dreadful when we lost ours, its a dog thing; you have to love dogs to undersatnd how devastating it is to loose them. Why do we do it to ourselves?

I will resize my pictures for the web in the future. Just thought I would go for the full panorama but I got irritated scrolling back and forth too!

Get a life...get a dog!

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 16 May 2007 6:41 pm

It's raining today, so here is the view I am looking at

:D
Andrew MacLean

cherishu2
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby cherishu2 » Wed 16 May 2007 7:19 pm

think i prefer your original view\ :lol:
mum to 7. Its a long story lol. cornea graft oct 19 2007.
Son with KC too
registerd blind 17th May 2007

Return to “Non-KC Chit-Chat”