graft in 4wks and scared

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

lou
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

graft in 4wks and scared

Postby lou » Tue 08 May 2007 2:10 pm

Hi All

Its getting closer to my graft date and i am so scared and upset about the whole thing for those of you that have read my previous posts you'll know i dont have much luck when it comes to operations.

please could someone tell my how long the op takes.

I have been told i will be given anti-biotics before and after also steroid drops, anti rejection drops and something for my dry eyes.

Any info anyone can give me would be great.

with luv

Emma xxx

donna
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby donna » Tue 08 May 2007 2:25 pm

Hi Emma, sorry no advice to give just wanted to wish you good luck xx

lou
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby lou » Tue 08 May 2007 2:44 pm

Thanks Donna xxx

Sarah M
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Sarah M » Tue 08 May 2007 2:52 pm

Emma,

had same feelings myself, but it really isn't all that bad.

Op takes a couple of hours - you'll be knocked out so dont worry about that!

i was given a steriod and antibiotic drop combined and initally atifical tears which i didnt use (couldnt get em in lol).

try hard not to worry - you'll be fine.

sarah

mike scott
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and good vision

Postby mike scott » Tue 08 May 2007 3:01 pm

Hi Emma

How are you sweetheart :) will try and cheer you up if i can , sounds like you need it.

As you know i'm also on the list for the graft, but no date yet , could be a while yet.

I understand the op takes in the region of an hour give or take ten minutes.

I was told the same as you , that after i would be usingsome form of mild pain relief for a short time, probably some form of antibiotic drops and definateley anti - rejection drops.

It was suggested that the anti rejection drops would be used quite a lot initially then reduced down over a period of time. some surgeons take you off them all together eventually , some like mine ( Mr Brahma at MREH) suggest always taking 1 drop a day for the very long forseeable. I dont actually mind that as i think i fear the rejection and failure of the graft more than having the graft, even though that scares me to death as well :lol:

i know you must be getting really nervous , so now is the time to play :).

make sure you get plenty of attention, meals out, cinema, weekend in Paris :lol: then after make sure you get someone doing all your housework and cooking, feeding you plenty of icecream off silver spoons and definately loads of chocolate.

very best wishes and stay in touch , we're all thinking of you

mike
onwards and upwards

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Tue 08 May 2007 3:14 pm

In addition to what has been said, the steroid drops are the ones that control rejection.

Professor Buckley said at the confrence they are used for a long time because the although the healing is slowed, it is better and the long term results are better and risk of rejection much reduced.

I am sure like most people here, once you have had the graft that you will be wondering what all the fuss was about.

Take some good music, talking books from the library and take a load off your feet. You will be fine.
Gareth

lou
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby lou » Tue 08 May 2007 3:24 pm

Thanks Sarah xxx

Mike- Thankyou very much for your post you hit the nail on the head when you said its the fear of rejection.

Over the last 1 1/2 yrs my family have been through so much with me being poorly and now ive just recovered im having something else done and i dont want to worry them with my worries i especially dont want to worry my dad as he finds things to do with my health upsetting and hard to deal with (daddys girl) thats why im so greatful to you ALL because without this site i would just bottle it all up.

thanks

luv

Emma xxx

ps Hey Mike its Mr B thats doing my eye.

Louise Pembroke
Champion
Champion

Postby Louise Pembroke » Tue 08 May 2007 4:27 pm

Emma, it will be fine. There's not typically pain as such after, just a little discomfort more in relation to the light than anything else so have your sunglasses ready.
Director of Sci-Fi and Silliness and FRCC [Fellow of the Royal College of Cake]

John Smith
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby John Smith » Tue 08 May 2007 5:09 pm

Emma,

The operation length greatly depends on whether a PK or DALK graft is performed. PKs are much quicker, as they are simpler to perform.

As for the fear of rejection, I'm with you on that one. My PK eye has had nine rejection episodes - all scary in themselves, but all successfully stopped using steroid drops (and one injection because of reaction to the steroids on number 9).

Because of that, my next graft was a DALK - much reduced chance of rejection... almost to zero.

You're in the right place to whinge though, fire away here, and I'm sure you'll be reassured.
John

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Tue 08 May 2007 6:04 pm

Emma

On the basis that good advice is easier to give than it is to take, let me give you some good advice that is born of personal experience:

DON'T PANIC

I put things off until there was no choice but to go forward; by then I had nothing to lose. For me everything worked out fine, and I am sure that they will for you, too.

Just keep reminding the nursing staff, the ophthalmologist and the anaesthetist about your history and they will make all the provision that will ensure a successful outcome for you.

All the best

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Return to “General Discussion Forum”