how many times your vision have deteriorated since you were

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

eman samir
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Spectacles

how many times your vision have deteriorated since you were

Postby eman samir » Thu 29 Mar 2007 7:17 pm

hi everybody.just wanna know how many times your vision have deteriorated since you were diagnosed with KC?for me, i was diagnosed 2.5 years ago and my vision was deteriorated 1 time.i think 1 time is too much for this period.do i expect a further more???????
for indeed,it is not the eyes that grow blind but it is the hearts which are within the bosoms that grow blind...

mike scott
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and good vision

Postby mike scott » Thu 29 Mar 2007 10:52 pm

hi eman
i started wearing glasses at the age of 15 (i am now 40) i was diagnosed withkc at 18 and had my first set of rgp's. over the last 22yrs i've seriously lost count of how many refits i have had, but in the last 2 yrs alone i have had my left eye refitted at least every 2 months until i became intolerant last july (06), i am now on the transplant list for that eye :( .
KC is very unpredictable, you can go for very long periods of time with complete stability, hopefully all your life , or you can have a great deal of instability leading ultimately to a graft, or you can have a mix of both where you are stable for a time and then have periods where you will suddenly have a few refits in succession. no body has the answers i'm afraid, so all i can say is to appreciate everyday as it comes and enjoy life anyway you can

all the best
mike
onwards and upwards

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Fri 30 Mar 2007 7:49 am

Eman,

It depends how agressive your KC is.

When I was first diagnosed 20 years ago, it would change every couple of weeks so I could get fitted with lenses only for the KC to have changed by the time I got them. Within 9 months I was in need of a graft. Post graft I had stable vision for nearly 18 years until the KC came back in 2004 which is very rare. Since then it has been stable for 2.5 years.

If your KC has changed just once, then that is very good going.
Gareth

donna
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby donna » Fri 30 Mar 2007 8:25 am

I found out late last year I have KC and in January my vision deteriorated and I think there has been another change in my vision recently but I am at the hospital on 1st May so waiting until then.

Alison Fisher
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby Alison Fisher » Fri 30 Mar 2007 9:46 am

Mine was a seemingly constant, steady progression. In the time it took for any new lenses to arrive the fit would have changed again. :(
grafts in 1992 and 1996

kerrie phillips
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby kerrie phillips » Fri 30 Mar 2007 8:33 pm

I was diagnosed in august 06, prior to that though my eyes were changing on a yearly basis and i was having new glasses each time.
since august 06 to now my eyes have changed twice.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”