Cornea transplant, recovery recommendations.

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

ChrisK
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Cornea transplant, recovery recommendations.

Postby ChrisK » Sun 11 Feb 2007 8:56 pm

Hi all.

Well the good news is I've successfully had my heart operation and have just been given the go ahead for my cornea transplant. So it appears a sense of deja vu as a year later I am back to the operation build up with my op pencilled in for the 1st of march. :D

What I would love to here though is tips and recommendations for recovery. I have a couple of weeks to get everything prepared so are there things that aided your recovery or indeed made your recovery more pleasant?

Boredom factor........
For starters, how long should I avoid using a computer and watching a tv after my operation? Whilst you were recovering what sort of things did you do to keep boredom at bay?

Fitness...
I am going to get a course of vitamins to boost my system as I recover. But exercise wise what am I able to do and what should I avoid?

Protecting the eye...
A shield to protect the eye? Will the hospital provide this after my operation or do I need to purchase one myself?
Any other tips for keeping the eye safe over the next few months?

Any other tips would also be greatly received, I'm planning to give my eye the best possible chance for a super recovery.

The best way to do this I feel is to draw the expertise of those who have already been through this process.

So many thanks in advance. :D

donna
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby donna » Sun 11 Feb 2007 10:05 pm

Sorry, no advice just wanted to say Goodluck :)

ChrisK
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby ChrisK » Sun 11 Feb 2007 11:06 pm

Thanks Donna,

I'll take your good luck message with me to the operating table. :D

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby jayuk » Sun 11 Feb 2007 11:41 pm

ChrisK

Good to see things are going in the right direction.

To answer some Q's

Boredom factor........
For starters, how long should I avoid using a computer and watching a tv after my operation?

Theres really no set time for this. If you get use out of the otehr eye, then more than likely you will have a shield on the operated eye for at least 10 days....as long as you arent straining the operated eye..you will be ok. However, if the operated eye cant take it...you will know...as itll water, etc

Whilst you were recovering what sort of things did you do to keep boredom at bay?

Worked, Spent time with family, usual stuff

Fitness...
I am going to get a course of vitamins to boost my system as I recover. But exercise wise what am I able to do and what should I avoid?

Anything light is meant to be ok. Dont lift anything in excess of 10lb for at least 6 weeks and dont bend over from the waist...again...your Optham wil give you guidelines on this

Protecting the eye...
A shield to protect the eye? Will the hospital provide this after my operation or do I need to purchase one myself?

The hospital normally provide you with a few

Any other tips for keeping the eye safe over the next few months?

Yes, wear the sheild where possible. Avoid touching the eye, sleep in a position which wont bear any pressure on the eye, avoid highly lit areas, get a pair of decent sunglasses, keep tissues, follow your after care medication regime,

HTH

J
KC is about facing the challenges it creates rather than accepting the problems it generates -
(C) Copyright 2005 KP

ChrisK
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby ChrisK » Mon 12 Feb 2007 2:46 am

Thanks Jay, this is much appreciated.

That's alot of great information there. :D

In the meantime I'll take your advice and get another pair of sunglasses as mine are beginning to look the worse for wear, or lack of :oops:

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Mon 12 Feb 2007 10:45 am

Good luck for the op.

In addition to Jays comments, if you will be near kids, a clear eye shield is a good source of protection.
Gareth

Alison Fisher
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby Alison Fisher » Mon 12 Feb 2007 7:04 pm

People's experiences vary widely so it is difficult to give specifics about computer time etc but I would say the most important things are to be patient with yourself and listen to what your body is telling you.

Good luck with your graft and I hope it as successful for you as mine have been for me. :D
grafts in 1992 and 1996

John Smith
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby John Smith » Mon 12 Feb 2007 7:41 pm

Chris,

It's likely that you'll be a bit photophobic after the graft, so turn the brightness on your computer monitor way down, and you'll possibly manage short bursts (say 10 mins at a time) from the day after the op.

Totally agree with the eye patch comments. Being around pets or small children is a good time to have an eye shield on, as well as when sleeping or showering.

There's not usually a lot of pain after the graft, just some discomfort for up to a week.

And as for the boredom... I highly recommend going for audio books. A well read book can be certainly entertaining, and you can do it whilst lying down in a darkened room - very relaxing. I can certainly recommend the Harry Potter books for that! Available in all good libraries :)

Best of luck for the graft. What sort are you having?
John

ChrisK
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby ChrisK » Tue 13 Feb 2007 2:03 pm

Thanks for the advice again. :D

Gareth, I'll ensure I wear my eye shield :D
in respect to googles would a pair of these be any use?

I'll keep the need for patience in mind Alison, this is probably my biggest issue as I have a habit of expecting too much and pushing myself. I know in this instance this will be the worst thing I can do. :(

Thanks John, I have my monitor rather dark but 10 minutes bursts sound great. I'll join my local library in the meantime and get some of those audio books to hand. :D

A year ago I was going to have a partial graft but I wouldn't be surprised to come round from the operation and find I have had to have a full graft.

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Tue 13 Feb 2007 2:35 pm

Chris,

Those goggle probably will be OK, less likely to be knocked off your head unlike my safety glasses which look rather like sunglasses.

When it comes to protecting our eyes, who gives a dman about what we look like?

Certainly not us. :D
Gareth

Return to “General Discussion Forum”