My appointment today and im confused

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

cherishu2
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC

My appointment today and im confused

Postby cherishu2 » Mon 05 Feb 2007 2:22 pm

Went to the lri today as i had noticed my vision with lenses was not as good (if you can call it that) as normal.

My right eye well thats been worse than bad for yonks and was a little worse.
However, my BEST eye is now apparently "radically worse" and twice as scarred.I could see the top A and the next line but with terrible ghosting Literally 2 of each letters and the o had a line through the middle.Well strange. And thats with the lenses and she couldnt get the vision better either.So she said theres no point in any more lenses. Also the right eye is showing blood vessels filling up?? And that if that gets worse i wont be able to have graft. gutted is not the word im soo upset.
Then came the pin hole test yeah im always good at that. Right eye great. Left could only see top 2 lines apparently this is really not good and an appontment is being made for me at casualty.
I didnt ask why but she said something is going on. Now im scared What could it be???
Baby is due in 9 weeks and ill have no eye correction. I wanna see my babies face. :cry:
So question is what could be wrong with left eye?
And why has it got worse all of a sudden?, she said im a complex case. Thats promising not.

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Mon 05 Feb 2007 2:43 pm

Cherish

All the best with your appointment. It sounds like you may be moving towards a graft.

Hold your baby really close. You will see the baby, and the baby (notoriously short sighted little darlings) will be able to see you.

All the best

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Mon 05 Feb 2007 3:00 pm

Sorry I can not help, but I wish you all the best with the appontment and baby.

The only thing that does come to mind is I wounder if your hormones are changing again as baby is about due and this has upset the balance of your vision.

I know pregnancy has an affect on womens vision which is why in England all pregnant women get free eye tests.
Gareth

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee

My appointment today

Postby Anne Klepacz » Mon 05 Feb 2007 4:15 pm

Cherish
So sorry that you've had bad news now, when you should be really joyful! But I'm sure you'll be able to see how beautiful your baby is - doesn't everyone want to hold a baby right up to their face to say hello?! As Gareth says, it could be to do with your hormones being all over the place now. Do let us know how you get on at casualty and we'll all be wishing you all the very best.
Anne

Sweet
Committee
Committee

Postby Sweet » Mon 05 Feb 2007 4:49 pm

Cherish,

Best of luck with everything, this is really not to time to be worrying about your eyesight i know when you are so near to giving birth.

Take it easy and everything will work itself out. Am thinking of you.
Sweet X x X

Alison Fisher
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby Alison Fisher » Thu 08 Feb 2007 1:45 am

My KC went haywire in the later stages of my last pregnancy, and like you I ended up with no lenses so I can kind of relate to what you're going through at the moment. I had my first graft when my baby was six months old and if it is any consolation once I was seeing better it wasn't my baby that looked differently to how I'd imagined but the rest of the family, because as Andrew says you do get 'up close and personal' with a baby in a way that you don't with older children and adults. Nappy changing was kinda 'interesting' though. :lol:

When is your next appointment? The first one I had once my baby was born was the one when they put me on the waiting list for a graft.

I don't know anything about your blood vessel problem so can't comment on that but if you do end up having one eye grafted instead of both, as long as you get a good result, I'm sure you'll be fine. I didn't have my second graft until my 'baby' was about to start school and I wanted to return to work. I did really well with only having good vision in one eye and only had the second graft done when I did because I wanted to get it over and done with and not miss any time off work. :roll:

I hope this helps a little. :D
grafts in 1992 and 1996

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Thu 08 Feb 2007 9:45 am

I think you'll soon notice when you are close to the nappy.

There is always the make Dad do it scenario :D
Gareth

cherishu2
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby cherishu2 » Thu 08 Feb 2007 3:05 pm

lol true gareth. But that is the part im hating,. Losing the independance bit. I put one lens in today for antenatal. and took it out when getting home.
I had appointment through for 13th march for mr rydell. Apparently its the scarring that has ruinde vision on left.
Im finding it very hard with the children especially with 3 under 5. They are getting so naughty and taking advantage of my sight while dad is at work.
The 3 yr old played hide and seek this morning the monster.I got so upset cos i couldnt find her.
And im soo tired is that noral/ My eyes are sooo sore.

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Thu 08 Feb 2007 3:10 pm

Being tierd looking after three kids under 5 is perfectly normal.

Being tierd copeing with KC and poor vision is perfectly normal.

Coping the way you do is bloomin marvelous.

I only have the one child and my independance has never been the same since she was born.

Depsite my annoyance at the school being closed due to 2 inches snow I am making the best of it and educating her in the ways of making a snowman.

Did take my lenses out first for fear of loosing one in the snow.

Got them in again now and I can now see that the snowman has leaves from the lawn along with dog poo. :shock:

Still some fresh snow in the vegi patch which is fenced off so will make the snowman proper white all over :wink:
Gareth

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Thu 08 Feb 2007 6:20 pm

When our son was very little I got pretty adept at putting on a Terry Nappy without the benefit of lenses. It is just a matter of holding your hand on the inside of the cloth and then remembering to stop pushing the nappy pin when it starts sticking into your hand!

By that time our daughter was out of nappies and was always keen to inspect what I was doing, to make sure I was doing it right.

I think that there are jobs for which sight is a questionable benefit.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Return to “General Discussion Forum”