Not happy!

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Wed 03 Jan 2007 12:38 pm

To best of my knowledge they prefer to knock you out to take a continual stitch out as it is more involved than taking a couple of single sutures out.

Would of thought they would at least have contacted your consultant as the stitch is probably trying to come out on its own.
Gareth

Val G
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Val G » Wed 03 Jan 2007 6:44 pm

To cut a long story short, after a lot of hassle today I have been informed that my consultant has seen my notes and just wants me to keep my appointment for the end of the month. A few miserable weeks ahead me thinks. :(

Anne B
Champion
Champion
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby Anne B » Wed 03 Jan 2007 6:51 pm

Sorry to hear that Val, but i guess the consultant wants to have a look before anyone does anything. Which may work out for the best. its just a shame that it seems like such a long wait.
Hope the end of the month comes quickly for you :)

Anne

Alison Fisher
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby Alison Fisher » Thu 04 Jan 2007 10:21 am

Oh Val I can well understand your frustration. :( When I've had trouble with my stitches they irritate me so much I have to have them sorted asap. A month's wait would be intolerable.

I had individual stitches in one eye and a continuous in the other. They have always been happy to take individual ones out at eye cas but the continous one was taken out at one of my regular appointments. I wasn't knocked out or anything - it was done in the examination room via a slit lamp with tweezers and a scalpel. The process sounds way, way worse than it actually is. There is an odd crunching sound when the stitch is broken and after that it's just a case of tugging the stitch out, which is an odd sensation but it doesn't hurt. When my continous stitch was taken out my eye was very sore for a few days but soon recovered, and I had some antibiotic drops to put in for a few days.

I hope this helps, and that January flies by for you. :D
grafts in 1992 and 1996

Val G
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Val G » Thu 04 Jan 2007 7:54 pm

I had my loose stitch tweaked about in casualty today so I am hoping it will settle down for a few weeks.

Val G
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Val G » Tue 09 Jan 2007 9:32 am

Just an update.

My vision has improved a little since having the suture adjusted, but is still uncomfortable especially in brightly lit places.My consultants registrar said again on thursday that it will be better to wait until my appointment in clinic on 23rd to have the suture removed but casualty said they would take it out if it got too bad.
So how bad is too bad? I have tken time off work since Thursday as I won't be able to cope, but am not too bad at home pottering around with the lights off.
Part of me feels I should just take it easy, off work, for a couple of weeks until my appointment. On the other hand if I get them to take it out in A&E I may be OK in a couple of days.
I just want to do what is best for my eye!

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby jayuk » Tue 09 Jan 2007 9:36 am

Val

I know this may not help, but if you CAN and you are not in pain or too much uncomfort, Id wait to be seen by the people that did the graft........

HTH

J
KC is about facing the challenges it creates rather than accepting the problems it generates -
(C) Copyright 2005 KP

Val G
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Val G » Tue 09 Jan 2007 1:07 pm

Thanks Jay, it does help. I know I have to put my vision first, but I work for the NHS and there are going to be more job cuts and sickness could influence who gets cut or getting a job with a new employer. I feel I am valued at work, but it is often not the people who know you that make the decisions.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”