Nine months (ish) post op

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Paul Osborne
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Nine months (ish) post op

Postby Paul Osborne » Fri 29 Dec 2006 9:14 am

Back to the consultant yesterday.

He is very pleased with how things are, had another stitch removed - so thats 3 down 14 to go.

Vision is around the five lines off the snellen chart.

Antibiotic drops (chlorophenawhatsit) 3 times a day for a week, maxidex twice a day for two months.

Have to return in two months (appointment made by enthusiastic staff - hurrah), but before I do go to an opticians - have a full eye test and bring the refraction results in. Not fussed about that, the consultant overbooks his clinics and so does not have time to do a thorough eye test, my optician will take as long as he needs and get it rightalso my missus then gets to take a look at George (the cornea) so she will be happy as well!

So as things stand am muchly happy. Current vision is slightly difficult to guage but that is due to the gungy antibiotics that they put in yesterday that I am *still* trying to remove!

Hope everyone had a good Christmas - I only managed six lunches out so feel rather porky but at least I was only eating once a day!

Have a good New Year.

Paul

Alison Fisher
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby Alison Fisher » Fri 29 Dec 2006 10:04 am

George the cornea? Love it! :lol: I never have named mine. Maybe if I had it would have made the early days when I found having other people's corneas hard to come to terms with a bit easier on me.

If I remember rightly they used my refraction results as a guide as to how my grafts were 'settling' down so in the first year or so I had lots of visits to the optician's.

Great to hear everything is still going so well. :D
grafts in 1992 and 1996

Paul Osborne
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Paul Osborne » Fri 29 Dec 2006 12:06 pm

The wife called it George and reckons that my left eye has its own personality. She has decided that it loves chocolate, beer and lingerie consequently is a bloke cornea!

Still I am not complaining.

If/when I have the other one done it is going to be called Fred, unless the wife decides that it is a girly cornea at which point she will choose a name at the time!

Paul

denner
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby denner » Fri 29 Dec 2006 12:41 pm

Great news the vision is getting better,Im coming up to six months post graft.My other eye has just given in lately so im wondering have you been fitted with glasses or lens yet? As for naming it George thats classic!! I have been thinking of a name for mine at first I thought of Iris ,but that was too corny then I thought of Eye-vor and that was even cornier..... get it cornier(cornea) Ahh im so funny,It good to see months of pain and blindness havent dampened ny spirits. Great to hear such an upbeat post,

Us Kerataconiacs will one day rise up and rule the world... With the curtains shut of couse.

Paul Osborne
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Paul Osborne » Fri 29 Dec 2006 12:56 pm

Well my right eye is still usable so I haven't worried about the left.

Though I have been told to get a prescription but no lenses sorted out before my next appt in 2 months time.

Once I have a lens in my glasses for my left eye things become interesting as I have to learn to use it - due to keratoconus I have never used it and combined with amblyopia my brain is not yet wired to use it.

I am really not looking forward to my right eye going downhill - at the moment its stable and I hope it stays that way.

I quite like George as well - its the wifes fault!

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Fri 29 Dec 2006 3:42 pm

Way to go Paul!

Keep it up.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby jayuk » Fri 29 Dec 2006 4:59 pm

Paul

Question for ya...have they done the "look through pin hole" test yet?...as thats a very good indication of what youll be able to see.........

J
KC is about facing the challenges it creates rather than accepting the problems it generates -
(C) Copyright 2005 KP

Paul Osborne
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Paul Osborne » Fri 29 Dec 2006 5:03 pm

Jay: yes!

They always do that!

Five lines'ish.

Paul

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Fri 29 Dec 2006 6:40 pm

Five lines and counting. The aim of the refraction is to get a lens that matches your "pin hole" vision.

Really well done!

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

denner
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby denner » Fri 29 Dec 2006 8:40 pm

Is that true? My vision through the pin hole thingy is always really good,So what does it mean? that in time with glasses or a lens I will see like that... :lol:

Return to “General Discussion Forum”