psychological problems due to KC????

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

jayboi2005
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby jayboi2005 » Wed 08 Nov 2006 2:46 pm

I do know what you mean, i get exactly the same because of how difficult things can be. I hate reading large print simply because to me i look stupid. Even though saying that is stupid on its own, im still in college so i just want to be and have the same as everyone else. Unfortunately KC doesn't really allow that. So i always have to be different than everyone else. I still have problems with my contact lenses all the time so normally i cannot put them in, then people think im being ignorant because i don't always speak to them. That's simply down to not being able to see who i am speaking to properly. Facial expressions are the worst lately because i don't always catch them. People don't really understand even though they sometimes make the effort to try. I just find myself asking the same question over and over again and telling the same story again and again and thats something else that gets to you. :shock:

Louise Pembroke
Champion
Champion
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Louise Pembroke » Wed 08 Nov 2006 2:56 pm

Part of the problem is not having a visual indicator of reduced vision. If you had a white stick or guide dog the difficulties you describe would be less acute. This is why I wish there were also a system of badges which indicated partial/reduced vision. Yes I know such a badge does exist, but it's not as widely recognised because it's not widely used. People expect reduced vision to be indicated by a stick or dog. If we had a better badge system [and I reckon many people might prefer a badge anyhow] it would help.
We could put it on just when we need it, I would put it on when I need to remove my lens
Director of Sci-Fi and Silliness and FRCC [Fellow of the Royal College of Cake]

John Smith
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby John Smith » Wed 08 Nov 2006 3:09 pm

That's exactly what the RNIB "Symbol Stick" is for. It's a white folding stick, short enough to be useless for finding your way around, but long enough to attract attention and let people know that you do indeed have a problem.

The other side of the coin of course, is that the symbol has negative connotations to the carrier!
John

Louise Pembroke
Champion
Champion

Postby Louise Pembroke » Wed 08 Nov 2006 3:53 pm

well that's just it John, a lot of people don't like carrying a stick, whereas a bright recognisible badge would be better

Lesley Foster
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Lesley Foster » Wed 08 Nov 2006 6:08 pm

John, I have seen someone locally with one of the short white sticks now I know what it's for thankyou.

I have often been accused of ignoring people when I'm out, I usually tell them I have poor vision and don't recognise people who call out from across the road or toot at me from their car because I am too busy watching where I am walking. Most people accept that and if they can't that's their problem not mine.

Lesley.
Live long and Prosper.

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Wed 08 Nov 2006 6:54 pm

My own view is

'What is wrong with being different to others?'

This is something I have always been comfortable with. It is was gives life such variety and makes it so interesting :D
Gareth

Louise Pembroke
Champion
Champion

Postby Louise Pembroke » Wed 08 Nov 2006 6:55 pm

The problem is when they don't know which is why a bright coloured badge on the coat which was nationally recognised would be useful and less emotive than a stick, say pink for reduced vision and yellow for blind. Those of us who 'part-time partially sighted' without lenses could just put it on as and when required.
I seriously think there is a campaign here

Louise Pembroke
Champion
Champion

Postby Louise Pembroke » Wed 08 Nov 2006 7:02 pm

There's nothing wrong with being different Gareth, it just gets boring having to keep explaining or people making an inaccurate assumption, it's about making life easier

cherishu2
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby cherishu2 » Wed 08 Nov 2006 7:04 pm

well badge or no badge we need something thats for sure.
I went to coop today and told the lady i cant see well could she show me where dumpling mix is.

"3rd aisle down" said.
Lot of help she was.
The badge could have a piccie of an eye black and white and a cross through it.mmmmmm i think its gotta be gud.
It not always possible to carry a stick.And push a pram

cherishu2
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby cherishu2 » Wed 08 Nov 2006 7:06 pm

I dont mind being different makes me special (shhhh dont spoil it, it makes me feel better :lol: )
But sick of people thinking im ignorant cus i cant see who they r

Return to “General Discussion Forum”