just been to my hospital appointment :-(

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

jayboi2005
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

just been to my hospital appointment :-(

Postby jayboi2005 » Thu 19 Oct 2006 2:54 pm

I wish i had of missed it now, because the same happened this time as it did last. I left more confused than when i went in. When i asked questions i got one of them replies that isn't an answer.

She was talking about if i get any red or soreness in my eyes at all I'm go to straight back. (i don't mean contact lens sore) So i said to her am i likely to get this, are you warning me? She said i have to just tell you. Well now she has said that i'm wondering what she can actually see when she looks in to my eyes. What ever it was she isn't telling. Why am i likely to get this red and soreness what is it? And why go straight there if i do? :?

Then she briefly spoken about surgery in my right eye, is this absolutely necessary? She said at the moment its just something to consider at 17 i don't think this is realistic surly? :roll:

I just then go the BYE see you in 6 months treatment!

Barney
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Barney » Thu 19 Oct 2006 2:58 pm

How far down the chart can you see Jayboi? Did you say you were having trouble reading the board at college with contacts?

The decision will always be with you. If you can't get the vision you want with contacts there may come a time when youdecide to try something else.
Last edited by Barney on Thu 19 Oct 2006 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jayboi2005
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby jayboi2005 » Thu 19 Oct 2006 3:00 pm

I do have trouble with contacts but that's because they irritate my eyes so much. Down the chart depends if i am looking through a pin hole. With the right eye looking i can see the top letter only and that very blurred.

Barney
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Barney » Thu 19 Oct 2006 3:02 pm

Can see the top letter only with contacts?

Alison Fisher
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby Alison Fisher » Thu 19 Oct 2006 5:46 pm

I think I've been given the come back if your eyes become sore or red talk at every single hospital visit both pre and post graft. I just take it as a sort of disclaimer now but it does feel kind of insulting - I mean as if we'd not do anything if it happened. :roll:

What surgery was she talking about? A graft?
grafts in 1992 and 1996

jayboi2005
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby jayboi2005 » Thu 19 Oct 2006 6:00 pm

I don't know what she was talking about, thats the problem with this woman. :?

Anne B
Champion
Champion
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby Anne B » Thu 19 Oct 2006 6:40 pm

Jayboi, I can understand how frustrated you feel.
When i first noticed my eyesight change my optician sent me off to Moorfields where they looked at my eyes told me i had conjuctivitas, gave me some drops and said to wash my lid margins with baby shampoo!!
I knew that my sight was getting worse, but no one seemed to worry about this!!! In the end i gave up and went five years before going back to a optician, this was when i was diagnosed with KC.
The point i am trying to get to is that you have to be tough , sometimes i leave Moorfields feeling like the biggest B**** ever. the thing you have to remember is that you have the problem and they are there to sort it.
Do you attend your appointments on your own?
Sorry i realise i have gone on a bit of a rant.
Don't give up i did once and it didn't really get me anywhere.
And if your eyes get red and sore you can always go back (you may get to see someone else!!)

Anne

Amarpal
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Amarpal » Thu 19 Oct 2006 8:14 pm

Thats strange, I wouldnt have expected her to mention surgery at 17. I asked my consultant about it a couple of months ago and he laughed at me and said he wouldn't dream of doing any eye surgery for correction at this age.
Amarpal

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Thu 19 Oct 2006 8:19 pm

Surgery at 17 does happen but is rare.

When I was 17 i needed surgery, but decided it would impact too mcuh on A levels so as soon as the examse were complete I went under the knife so the first year at uni would not be completely disrupted.

Last exam in May and a Uni start date in September gave a few months recovery.
Gareth

jayboi2005
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby jayboi2005 » Thu 19 Oct 2006 8:24 pm

This is all complete stupidity. Im sure she is a loverly woman, mabe its the way she explains and they way i listne but i think i should ring the main consultant and try to speak to him. Get him to explain everything properly! Any ideas?

Return to “General Discussion Forum”