Help! Broken contact lens.

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Anne B
Champion
Champion
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby Anne B » Thu 28 Sep 2006 1:42 pm

Hi Sharon

You only live down the road from me, I live in Ware. Wow someone with KC so close!!

Hope your son gets his lenses sorted out soon.

Anne

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Thu 28 Sep 2006 5:07 pm

I agree with everything that has been posted about wearing one lens while waiting for the second.

Also: I always found it a good idea to have a spare pair.

Welcome and best wishes.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Val G
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Val G » Thu 28 Sep 2006 6:31 pm

I have only one lens at the moment, as it is less than a year since my graft in the other eye. I forked out for a spare as I am so dependant on it for work.
A few years ago I did break a lens, it completely snapped whilst rinsing it! My very obliging clinic, Midland Eye Centre, ordered one urgently for me, I think it just took a few days.

Sharon Tuckfield
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Spectacles

Postby Sharon Tuckfield » Thu 28 Sep 2006 7:16 pm

Thanks to all........yes I think its definately worth thinking about a spare pair of contacts for my son, especially as I was told by Moorfields today that one of the contacts would ONLY be able to be made by them and not a "High Street" optician.

Also special "Hi" to Anne Bishop who lives not far from us, a fellow KC person!
:)
Sharon

Sharon Tuckfield
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Spectacles

Postby Sharon Tuckfield » Mon 02 Oct 2006 9:16 am

:D Just thought I'd post an "update"........the precscription arrived this morning! Hooray and well done Moorfields. Quite interesting to read as well, my son has one RoseK lens (the broken one) and an "offset 2" on the other eye. Whatever that means! Am trying to become more informed on all of this as I think it helps when coping with the condition .
Sharon

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Mon 02 Oct 2006 9:28 am

The BBC has a pretty good "beginners guide" to contact lenses.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A523441

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Summerak
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: Help! Broken contact lens.

Postby Summerak » Mon 18 Dec 2017 9:45 pm

Hello

Last week both my contact lens while taking out of my eyes broke. I emailed moorefield London eye hospital for replacements explained I can’t adjust without them since last week they emailed me today asking for the payment I made payment of £116 for them to process the order and was told now I will get my contacts second week of January I did explain that I will be starting work in 2 days . I’m really stressed out and it’s been over 6 years wearing contact lens and cannot adjust without them at all. Any other places that can help me to get new pair of my contact lens and I even don’t know my prescription too. I feel so helpless now.

Lia Williams

Postby Lia Williams » Tue 19 Dec 2017 8:49 am

Hi Summerak,

I'm sorry to hear that you have broken both your contact lenses. Sometimes it's only when we can't wear them that we realise how much we depend on them.

Unfortunately you are unlikely to be able to get contact lenses from anyone else any sooner as the contact lenses will be being made specially for you.

Do you have any old contact lenses which you could use?

Lia

Paul_M9
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Paul_M9 » Fri 12 Jan 2018 4:56 pm

Hi, having recently got some new lenses I am worried about them breaking or losing them and my mum has been saying I should get insurance for them. Googling this has provided no results and just wondered if anyone else has insured their lenses in-case of breakages?

Lia Williams

Postby Lia Williams » Fri 12 Jan 2018 9:27 pm

I had insurance for my first pair of lenses back in the 70's but I've not done so since then.

If the lenses fit properly they shouldn't fall out and with care, you are very unlikely to break them. So far I've never lost a lens although I think I've been lucky and I have spent hours searching for a lost lens. I did lose one for a week once and was amazed when I found it.

After wearing lenses for two or three years I realised that I'd be lost without them so I bought a spare pair. Since then I've always kept a spare pair (which is usually an old pair) which I carry with me just in case. Carrying a spare pair can be quite useful when one is out and about as it easier to take one lens out and when the eye has settled put in another (clean) lens in rather than carrying a load of solutions.

Lia

Return to “General Discussion Forum”