Stitches

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Val G
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Val G » Wed 15 Mar 2006 7:11 pm

Thanks for the comments. I'm going to try not to worry about this too much for now, but I think I'd rather have it out before it disintergrates!

Alison Fisher
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby Alison Fisher » Sat 18 Mar 2006 2:57 pm

My '92 graft had a continuous stitch which was removed after eighteen months or so but my '96 graft had individual stitches, most of which are still in situ. I went through a phase a few years back when they gave me a lot of trouble and I was constantly going back to have one taken out but (touch wood) things seem to have settled down again now. I'd love to be rid of them all but I've been told unless they bother me they will be left in.

Per
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Per » Sat 18 Mar 2006 8:37 pm

Which of the grafts gives you best vision. And are you dependent on glasses or lenses today ? You are one of the few here with two relatively old grafts, and not only one, so it would be interesting to know.

Sweet
Committee
Committee

Postby Sweet » Sat 18 Mar 2006 9:30 pm

I know that sometimes stitches are left in if they are causing no problems but as with some here i wouldn't want to try a lens if i still had stitches in place. So unless they are all removed i'm going to have to wait to see better!

Sweet X x X
Sweet X x X

Alison Fisher
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby Alison Fisher » Sun 19 Mar 2006 1:20 am

Hi Per :D

I'm very lucky and have excellent vision with both grafts. There isn't much to choose but if anything the one with individual stitches is very slightly better, and the one that had the continuous stitch is the most sensitive to light.

I wear glasses. I've never worn lenses since the grafts and shudder at the mere thought of doing so.

Hope this helps, Alison

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Sun 19 Mar 2006 10:32 am

Alison,

I think generally if you can manage with glasses, the chances of needed lenses again at a later date is extremely remote.

What happend to me is extremely rare but my gafts are 1989 & 1990.
Gareth

Alison Fisher
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby Alison Fisher » Sun 19 Mar 2006 2:01 pm

That's good to hear Gareth. What happened to you? I've been looking through posts here but there's a lot to take in at once.

I should have added to my post last night that I am still very aware of the graft with the stitches still in situ. It gets sore and it waters a fair bit. I've always put it down to the stitches but the last time I was at the hospital I was told that I had a ridge of scar tissue. Fair enough but it was the first time anyone had said that to me. :?

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby jayuk » Sun 19 Mar 2006 2:14 pm

Alison

SO you still have sutures left in after all this time?...How many years has it been respectively?

J
KC is about facing the challenges it creates rather than accepting the problems it generates -
(C) Copyright 2005 KP

Alison Fisher
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby Alison Fisher » Sun 19 Mar 2006 2:22 pm

Yep, I still have them in one eye. It will be ten years on April 1st since the op.

How do they decide whether to do individual stitches or a continuous one? The same consultant did both ops.

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby jayuk » Sun 19 Mar 2006 2:34 pm

Its really up to the consultant to be honest..some prefer singles others running, and others running and singles........

I had singles and running, singles were removed at 6 months and running are going to be in till May at the minimum

J
KC is about facing the challenges it creates rather than accepting the problems it generates -

(C) Copyright 2005 KP

Return to “General Discussion Forum”