Eye sight change.

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Anne B
Champion
Champion
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Eye sight change.

Postby Anne B » Wed 15 Mar 2006 1:49 pm

Hi

This may sound strange. but my eyesight seems to of changed and the ghosting is worse.When out and about peoples faces seem almost transparent. Does any one know what i am talking about. I just checked my eyesight with the printable snellen chart and i can only read top line with glasses on.
No word from moorfields about my soft lens so things are at a stand still her . What am i going to do?

Anne

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 15 Mar 2006 2:42 pm

Anne

I think that the visual effect you describe is due to one of your eyes not seeing the face of the person you are looking at, and the other eye "looking past". The result of this is that there is a "hole" in the vision of one eye and not a hole in the corresponding place in the other eye.

Naturally you should not drive until this has been corrected. If you are worried about it, I'd pop along to the eye casualty dept.

One of the problems with KC is that our sight does vary.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Anne B
Champion
Champion

Postby Anne B » Wed 15 Mar 2006 4:15 pm

i don't drive and always been told that i shouldn't. My eye sight seems to have changed since my last visit to moorfields.
Im not really sure what im trying to say just that i am still wearing the same glasses that i had two years ago because im waiting for contact lenses. it just takes so long.i know that people on here have it a lot worse than i do, and i don't want to whinge all the time. But everything with the kids get harder. On monday i take my 4 year old to visit her new school and to have school dinner i am dreading it because i won't be able to see everything.
Sometimes i think things were better before i tried lenses because i didn't realise how bad things were. The last place i want to go is eye casualty. I'm not even sure if i want to go back to moorfields.
Sorry to moan

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 15 Mar 2006 4:23 pm

Moaning is what this site is for!

When you go to the school, explain to the head teacher that you have a visual handicap. Carry a white stick if you have one! Tell the head teacher if there is something to which she is drawing your attention that you cannot see it.

Ask your four-year-old to help you: children love to be involved and to know that she is being a help to mummy will let her know that she really in important.

My children were very little when I first got my lenses. They knew that the 'little windows' at the front of daddy's eyes were a bit wonky. They iknew that the day might come when daddy would go to hospital and have the little windows taken away from the front of his eyes and that he'd have noe wsindows put in their place.

In our front room there was a window pane with a little flaw. My son used to look through the flawed glass and announce that he knew what the world looked like to me!

When your lenses arrive ther eis every reason to expect that your sight will improve dramatically.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby rosemary johnson » Wed 15 Mar 2006 7:19 pm

Anne, sorry to hear about your problems.
How long is it now that Moorfields have not yet got your new lenses? - that is, how long have you had to wait for them?

There seems to be a problem with their lens ordering system - it took seven months, several abortive trips to MEH and a small fortune in phone calls to get my last lot. THat's 7 months after i paid for them.
Can you cahse them up at all?? - try phoning, for example.
Chase, even.
If you're not getting any joy, and it has been an unreasonably long time, you could either a) try te MEH complaints procedure or b) contact your MP for help.
GOod luck.
Rosemary

Anne B
Champion
Champion

Postby Anne B » Wed 15 Mar 2006 7:33 pm

Its only been 4 weeks since my last appointment which isn't long i know. Just feel that i am not getting anywhere. Looking after my children is my job and i want to do it the best i can. Its getting hard to take them to the park, actually anywere. Dance classes are a nightmare because they all wear the same, so i can't spot them. Just want to get something sorted and if its not possible to wear lenses then i can just try get on with it.
At the moment the thought of going back to moorfields fills me with dread.Yes i should chase them but i don't want to.
Sorry, mixed emotions going on here!!

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Wed 15 Mar 2006 7:43 pm

Anne,

We will raid the lens dept at the AGM :D

It is frustrating waiting, just so I can see my daughter when we go swimming she has the brightest costume!

Not so easy at dance classes when they all dress alike.
Gareth

Anne B
Champion
Champion

Postby Anne B » Wed 15 Mar 2006 8:12 pm

Not a bad idea. If you lot fitted me for lenses i may stand a chance.

Anne B
Champion
Champion

Postby Anne B » Thu 16 Mar 2006 11:04 am

Hi

Made a appointment to see Ken Pullum at his pratice (Hes in the next town from me) . I see him next Tuesday. I hope i will get to ask some more questions about my options and discuss scleral lenses.

Anne

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Thu 16 Mar 2006 1:15 pm

Anne

I have a strong feeling that you have a far better chance with KP fitting your lenses than with us!

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Return to “General Discussion Forum”