KC people living in Scotland

Announcements from the Scottish local group

Moderator: Elizabeth Mair

accaldwell
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: KC people living in Scotland

Postby accaldwell » Tue 29 Dec 2009 6:57 pm

Hello my name is Alex Caldwell and I have just registered on the group although Elizabeth and I have corresponded by E-mail.

I have had KC for abouy 30 years and have been able to cope with Contact Lens for all of this period. I have of course had various incedents of abrasions with grit or dust getting under the lens but I have able to get back to wearing the lens after a few days.

I was forced into retirement by redundancy so I have been able to reduce my wearing times and this has helped greatly.

I now live in Dumfries but still attend the Contact Lens Clinic at Gartnavel so might meet some of you there.

Like the previous posts I know that the ultimate solution will be a Cornea Graft or Intacts but when that will be I will have to wait and see

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 30 Dec 2009 2:17 pm

Alex

Welcome to the forum. Like you, I am a patient at Gartnavel, and I reckon we are very well served there. When are you next going to the hospital? Maybe we will bump into each other.

Every good wish

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

accaldwell

Postby accaldwell » Wed 30 Dec 2009 4:25 pm

Hi Andrew
My next appoinment at the clinic is on Friday 15th January 2010 at 10.45

Regards Alex.

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Thu 31 Dec 2009 4:45 pm

I'm not there that day, but please give my New Year Greetings to the optometrists and receptionist.

All the best

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Elizabeth Mair

Postby Elizabeth Mair » Sun 10 Jan 2010 9:52 pm

I'll miss you too at Gartnavel My next appointment is Jan 29th at 9.30. Is anybody else at the clinic on that morning? Elizabeth

james mckinlay
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby james mckinlay » Wed 27 Jan 2010 11:42 pm

no im sorry my appointment is not until february and yes i know i have been hiding away lol facebook and bebo kidnapped me.

i hope everyone had a great christmas and newyear all the best for 2010 i hope it brings you all luck in all that you do

pam39
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Spectacles

Postby pam39 » Thu 20 May 2010 8:28 pm

Hi, my nameis Pam and I live in Aberdeen. I was diagnosed with keratoglobus a numberof years ago. Just wanted to say hi to everyone in the Scottish Group. So "Hi everyone in the Scottish Group" :-)

Anthony
Vision: I'm coping with no aids

Postby Anthony » Fri 30 Jul 2010 7:09 pm

Pam,

I am new to the group and did a search for comments about keratoglobus. I'm a 47 year old male living in the U.S. and am just recently diagnosed with keratoglobus. My vision is still good (I am only using glasses for distance), but I have on eye that has changed shape. I have not been able to get much information other than scary pictures. Everything seems ver mysterious. I'd like to learn more about progression, treatment etc. If you're willing, I'd like to benefit from your experience.

Thanks, Tony

pam39
Contributor
Contributor

Postby pam39 » Mon 02 Aug 2010 1:17 am

Hi Tony, I was diagnosed with keratoglobus when I was sixteen (42 years old now). I think the progression of KG is not the same for everyone who has the condition, so my experience of it over the years may not be what you experience. I say this because it can be quite alarming if you think my experiences with regards to KG will mean yours will follow the same progression as this may certainly not be the case and I would not want to cause you unneccessary anxiety. Both my eyes have changed shape over the years also, KG is more advanced in my right eye and I have no useful vision in it. The vision in my left eye is about 6/18 this is deteriorating at the moment though and I am currently waiting to speak with the consultant about this. Over the years I have experienced abrasions mostly in the left cornea and I needed operations on my lower eyelids (both eyes) as my eyelashes were rubbing against my corneas making them sore. Two years ago I experienced a perforation in my right eye and required surgery. I currently wear glasses but the vision in my right eye can no longer be corrected with them and I am struggling a bit , but managing with my left eye at 6/18 corrected.
I know it can be scary, especially with you just being diagnosed and do not know what to expect and you are right it is not easy to find specific info with regrds to KG. I take each day as it comes, I find dark glasses that fit over my prescription specs helps with the light sensitivity and cuts down on the headaches. This forum is also really good for support and advice. If there are any questions that you may have just post them and people wikll respond. Get back to me if you want any more info. Take care and good luck.

Pam

Ladyburd
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Ladyburd » Mon 01 Nov 2010 3:30 pm

Hi

I have been posting loads of my stuff on the general forum, but I live in Glasgow, so here I am!

I saw a poster about a meeting on the 20/11, can you give me some info as I didn't have a pen to jot down the details

Ta

Cx

Return to “Scottish Local Group”