Moderators: Sweet, John Thatcher

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Next meeting for the West Midlands

Postby Anne Klepacz » Mon 27 Apr 2015 1:45 pm

The next West Mids meeting is on Saturday 6th June at 11am in the Outpatients Dept of the Birmingham and Midland Eye Centre (Dudley Road, Birmingham).
All welcome to a talk and open discussion on Access to Low Vision Services. The speaker is Mary Bairstow, Optometrist and Development Advisor for Vision 2020 UK.

John Thatcher
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby John Thatcher » Mon 12 Oct 2015 9:08 am

The next West Midlands meeting is on Saturday 31st October 2015 at 11:00am in the outpatients department of the Birmingham & Midland Eye Centre (behind the City Hospital off Dudley Road). There will be a talk by Wendy Sainsbury and John Turnbull from BlindChildrenUK about the services they provide, including a case study of working with the parents of a young person diagnosed with KC. Note that, despite its title, BlindChildrenUK cover 'children' up to age 25 with a whole range of visual impairments and so is very relevant to young people with KC and their parents. The meeting is also a good opportunity to meet others with KC and share experiences. It's totally informal, in an open area so you can come and go as suits you and tea and coffee are provided; hope to see you there.

John Thatcher
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby John Thatcher » Sun 17 Jan 2016 2:28 pm

Advance notice of next meeting and the first one in 2016 - it will be on Saturday 16th April at 11:00 in the outpatients department of the Birmingham & Midland Eye Centre (behind the City Hospital off Dudley Road). This will be an open session for sharing information and experiences, meeting others with KC and, hopefully, hearing from a member who will have recently had a graft. A flier will circulated nearer the time.

John Thatcher
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby John Thatcher » Sun 17 Apr 2016 4:31 pm

Thanks to everyone who came along yesterday to the meeting (27 in all) and especially to Kamran for sharing his recent graft experience, particularly relevant as 2 of the participants are expecting to have grafts fairly soon. It was really good to hear everyone sharing information and helping to answer the many questions that came up; having a good attendance makes that so much more informative - I certainly learned a lot!

I'm looking at a next meeting along the same lines in early July, possibly on 9th but will confirm later.

Best wishes

John

John Thatcher
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Next meeting for the West Midlands 9th July 2016

Postby John Thatcher » Mon 23 May 2016 4:32 pm

This is to confirm that the next West Midlands Meeting will be held at the usual place at the Birmingham & Midland Eye Centre (behind the City Hospital on Dudley Road) starting at 11am on Saturday 9th July.

It will be a support session aimed at helping anyone recently diagnosed with keratoconus and gives an opportunity to talk with others who have or are affected by KC so come along to ask questions about managing life with KC if you're a newbie or come along to offer advice and share your experiences if you aren't.

Hope to see you there.

John

John Thatcher
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby John Thatcher » Wed 06 Jul 2016 3:43 pm

Just to confirm that the meeting will take place as planned at 11:00am this coming Saturday in the Midland Eye Centre and everyone welcome. I also have a short report from one of our members who had a graft at Moorfields a month ago that I will read out as Ashley won't be there. He has said though that he will be happy to answer any questions that arise so I will pass them on and the answers can appear on this forum.
Hope to see you Saturday.
John

John Thatcher
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Next meeting for the West Midlands 15th October 2016

Postby John Thatcher » Thu 25 Aug 2016 6:26 pm

The next West Midlands Meeting will be held at the usual place at the Birmingham & Midland Eye Centre (behind the City Hospital on Dudley Road) starting at 11am on Saturday 15th October. The main topic for the meeting will be summarising the key points from the 8th KC Group Conference that is being held in London on September 17th so that those who can't get to London for it can at least get an appreciation of the day. Also the opportunity to met and share experiences of KC; all welcome.
John

John Thatcher
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Next meeting for the West Midlands 8th April 2017

Postby John Thatcher » Fri 10 Feb 2017 12:13 pm

Advance notice that our next meeting will be on Saturday 8th April 2017 in Birmingham at 11:00 in the Community Hub in John Lewis’s at Grand Central above New Street Station. Please note that this is a new venue as the Saturday clinics at the Eye Centre have become very busy and our usual meeting place is now very public and noisy. The Community Hub should be a much quieter venue and is very easy to get to being on the 4th floor in the corner of Audio and TV (turn right at the top of the escalator). I am very keen to see how this works and what people think so please come and give your feedback. The speaker will be Dr Waheeda Illahi, Head of Optometry at Birmingham and Midland Eye Centre, and more details will be posted shortly.

John Thatcher
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Next Meeting for the West Midlands 8th April 2017 - Talk Details

Postby John Thatcher » Sat 18 Feb 2017 4:49 pm

The title of the talk is "An Optometrist’s Perspective of Prescribing and Fitting Contact Lenses for Keratoconus and Tips for Successful Wear". This should be of interest to most of us, whether to understand better what and how the Optometrist thinks or to gain her tips on maximising contact lens wearing times - or both! It will, as usual, be very informal with every opportunity to ask questions.

Return to “West Midlands Local Group”