HELP! Please can i get some advice/support

If you have a question or comment about the forum or the web site you can post it here.

Moderator: John Smith

davie1973
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

HELP! Please can i get some advice/support

Postby davie1973 » Thu 01 Dec 2011 10:55 pm

Hello everyone im new here my name is David Powlesland and i have keratoconus (mildly advanced, i think this is what the surgeon described it as but not sure) and blepathritis.
I have a medical tribunal coming up in shortly and would like some assistance. Has anyone here been through this before. The reason for going for the tribunal is because i was medically retired from my job after 19 years, and advised my employer i would not be able to work in the near future. This was about 2 years ago. I was then placed on a benefit which has been failed on assessment. Apparently a large number of people were given the same result from various backgrounds.
Can anyone please help as this is causing me a substanial amount of distress and worry. :(

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Re: HELP! Please can i get some advice/support

Postby Andrew MacLean » Fri 02 Dec 2011 7:18 am

Davie

I have also responded to your other post, and welcomed you there to the forum.

You did not say what you job had been prior to your retirement two years ago, but I guess that the issue of fitness for work will hinge on the nature of your employment.

Every good wish with the tribunal.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: HELP! Please can i get some advice/support

Postby Anne Klepacz » Fri 02 Dec 2011 10:44 am

Hello David,
As you say, a lot of people with all sorts of disabilities are getting their benefit withdrawn as a result of the new assessments. Though the encouraging news is that at least half of the rejections are getting overturned on appeal. I'm assuming that your blepharitis is making it very difficult/impossible to wear your contact lenses? Do get together as much medical evidence as you can of how your problems are affecting your vision - do you have something from your hospital/consultant that you can present? Have you asked the hospital whether you can be registered as partially sighted? And it would really be worth getting some expert help. I don't know whereabouts in the country you are, but do look up your local branch of the charity Action for Blind People www.actionforblindpeople.org.uk They deal with people with all sorts of sight problems and will have advisers who are used to dealing with tribunals, so do give them a ring. All the best, and do let us know how you get on.
Anne

Return to “Help and Advice”