Filters for flourescent office lights

If you have a question or comment about the forum or the web site you can post it here.

Moderator: John Smith

Chris Halliday
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and good vision

Filters for flourescent office lights

Postby Chris Halliday » Wed 11 Feb 2009 10:43 pm

I recently had my cornea transplant and upto now fingers X all is very good.
I've been back at work about 6 weeks, but in our office we have those very bright flouresccent tubes, even colleagues without eye problems have trouble with this type of lighting, at the moment the ones above my work station are switched off because they give me such a headache and irritate others all the others are now ok but i'm left in the position where i'm struggling to see my computer screen/work etc, a slight compromise has been made in that they gave me a desk lamp but this was only on for about an hour yesterday and started to give me a headache and the glare from the bulb was far too bright for my operated eye, if someone could please advise if there are any filters available for these very flourescent lights.

The Health and Safety chap has been to assess my work station and has stated that by regulations when the lights above my station are on it is quite dim but to me it is really bright and causes me a lot of discomfort so i have opted to work in quite a dim area, the Health and Safety chap stated that the tubes do have an anti glare filter on them but this doesn't help me one bit.

Please help!!!!

Thanks & Regards

Chris

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: Filters for flourescent office lights

Postby rosemary johnson » Thu 12 Feb 2009 7:40 pm

Commiserations on your too-bright light problems.
DOn't really know anything about fluorescent lights, sorry.
Is it possib le to try different bulbs for the desk light? - maybe one of the blue "daylight" bulbs might help? Or if it has an "energy-saving" bulb already, maybe an old incandescent variety would be less strain (some people find energy saving bulbs really bad for headaches).
Alternatively, is it possible to point it upwards at the ceiling, or up at a wall, so you are actually being lit by the light bouncing off the wall or ceiling rather than th bulb directly - sometimes this can be easier on the eyes. (A couple of flipchart pages blutacted to a partition may be enough for this if the walls aren't the best.(
Good luck with it.
Is it possible also to change the colour scheme of your screen, or even get some read-out-the-screen software, so you dont have to watch it all the time?
Rosemary

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Re: Filters for flourescent office lights

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sat 14 Feb 2009 9:09 pm

I used to find that wearing a light excluding cap-peak (like the ones they always wore in poker games in Daemon Runyan films) under flurescent lights to be a great help.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Return to “Help and Advice”