Message for Andrew / IT experts!

If you have a question or comment about the forum or the web site you can post it here.

Moderator: John Smith

Pat A
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Message for Andrew / IT experts!

Postby Pat A » Tue 20 Mar 2007 4:29 pm

Andrew
Can you tell me 2 things:
1. how you manage to create your "Don't Panic" signature with it's shadow image. A this is what I see with my KC eyes I want to be able to show this to others who don't (want to) understand to try and explain my difficulties.

2. How you import that into your signature on this site!

I thought I was quite good with IT but both these things have defeated me!

Thanks
Pat

We do not stop playing because we grow old;
We grow old because we stop playing.

John Smith
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby John Smith » Wed 21 Mar 2007 2:14 am

Pat,

I can answer the second question. You need to upload the image somewhere, note the url, and then place it between [img] tags in your message like this:

Code: Select all

[img]http://my.webhost/me/myfile.jpg[/img]

When the new version of the forum software eventually arrives, this will be MUCH easier, as you'll have a button to upload your pics here!
John

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 21 Mar 2007 7:34 am

Pat,

And I can answer the first question.

I have several different versions of the "don't panic" sig graphic. The present version gives "don't panic" in tratitional han chinese and in convenient English translation.

For the Chinese version I used the universal translator embedded in Mac OSX. I then copied the chinese characters and pasted them into "Word Art" (part of the Microsoft Word element of Micorsoft Office for Mac). I used this package to generate an image that I could paste into Graphic converter and convert to a jpg (a format that allows pictures to be shared across various platforms; beyond that I haven't a clue, but John or Gareth, or Knight would be able to explain.)

Then I did as John suggested, I uploaded the picture to my own webspace. I have two locations where I can store images and such on the interweb, because I have an isp and I am a member of .mac. My sig line has the [img] and [/img] brackets around the universal resource locator for the image. When I think it is time to change to another versiou of the sig I just go into my profile and alter a single digit in the long URL and this tells the forum's computer to look for the newly defined sig and display it under my name. :D

I am sure there is a better and even a quicker way of doing all this, but I have found out how to do it this way :roll:

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Pat A
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby Pat A » Wed 21 Mar 2007 9:55 am

Andrew/John
Thanks to both of you. Methinks I have a fairly basic problem - I don't use a MAC! I see a potential Birthday present (from me to me) on the horizon!

The key to all of this was how to create the graphics (any graphics!) with the shadow image. I see WordArt on my PC word package allows this and there is some quite extensive "help" on creating shadows and the like so I'll get down to reading all of that in my spare time!

And I don't have (at least I don't think I have!) my own webspace - but I'll get my son to sort that for me!
Pat

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 21 Mar 2007 10:35 am

Pat

Yu must hve an ISP, or you would not be able to log onto the forum. I had always imagined that even the most basic contract came with soem free space.

Your family IT expert will be able to tell you.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Pat A
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby Pat A » Wed 21 Mar 2007 10:57 am

Andrew
I 'm sure I do - I just don't know what to do with it! I'll be ringing my son later - he's having a day off work today so probably won't surface before midday!
Pat

Return to “Help and Advice”